7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 7:39 PM by the_wine_snob

Project asks for missing files help please

Beruthial Level 1

HI initially I had  a C drive (windows) and a D(DATA) drive. The D drive was nearly full so I added another larger drive. I (DATA) a month ago. I mirrored D drive onto I drive and set My Documents to point to the new I drive. Premiere Elements 9 opened all projects no problem looking for files on the I drive. Then yesterday, I formatted the D drive and renamed it S (Scratch) as I was going to use it as a dedicated scratch disk. Premiere Elements then proceeded to ask for every file. So I reformatted S and renamed back to D (DATA) and copied the music, video, pics and Adobe files from the I drive. This partially fixed the problem as projects now can find the video files but asks for any music or jpg files used. Can anyone please tell me why this happened as all the files are being pulled from the I drive not the D drive. Thanks Chris

• 1. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's a pretty convoluted story and a little hard to tell -- but my guess is that, since you mirrored drives and continued to name the My Documents folder as your My Documents folder, as far as Premiere Elements was concerned, the video files were in the same place. Though this was probably not so for your missing files.

Though actually, with all this juggling around of files, I'd just  be grateful it works at all.

• 2. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
            Beruthial Level 1

Hi thanks but after I added the 2nd DAta drive, I,  My Documents (which contains My Pictures, My Music and My Videos) was pointed to get the files from I drive.

• 3. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The PREL (Project) files are only XML databases, that do not contain any media files, and only lines of XML code. The media files are linked via Absolute Paths to where they were located, when they were Imported. So long as PrE can follow those Absolute Paths to the media, all is fine. When those Absolute Paths are broken, for whatever the reason, PrE will ask, "Where is file ____ ?" and one must then point PrE to them. It will then relink to the new Paths. This ARTICLE and the link in the last segment, will give you more background.

Good luck, and hope that explains what happened.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
                Beruthial Level 1

Thankyou Bill, I didn't realise the lookup paths were fixed, I was under the wrong impression if I pointed MY Documents (which contained all the files to the new drive it would find them there). My oops, oh well, live and learn, wont be doing that again. If I rename my I drive to D drive will that fix the problem or is it also linked to the disk signature?

• 5. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not worry. This is often confusion as to what is in a PREL, and how it actually works. Steve Grisetti goes into detail on these aspects in his books, but few other sources really cover things all that well - they just cover the actual editing, and what goes on, behind the scenes.

Many users assume that if they Save a PREL, it will contain the finished AV "movie," when Export/Share actually do that. Others will Delete all Source Files, thinking they are in the PREL files. As you can see from those articles, neither is the case.

Good luck, and hope that helped,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
                    Beruthial Level 1

Thanks for that Bill, helped heaps. I knew that the prel file didnt contain the actual data files, but I did think that if the prel went looking for the files in MY Documents you could just change the drive it pointed to. Have a bit of redirecting to do.

• 7. Re: Project asks for missing files help please
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the program does go looking, after it encounters broken links, but then the user needs to do the next step - navigating to the new Absolute Path, and from there, if one has all Assets in a single folder, will do the rest.

Good luck,

Hunt