5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2011 10:41 PM by Martin S...

Best audio format to embed for export to pdf?

Martin S... Level 1

Hello, I was wondering what format for audio file would be best to embed for exporting to pdf. I want to embed the audio file in a button, for playback on mouseover in the exported pdf. Previously, when I had CS3, I actually had to convert my mp3s to avi files, as (believe it or not) that turned out to be the only format that would play back properly with a toolbar in the pdf, and only after I changed the media player (from quicktime to flash) for EACH audio file in the pdf. It was a headache trying to embed hundreds of audio files and I'm just wondering if CS5 has improved.

• 1. Re: Best audio format to embed for export to pdf?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're using InDesign CS5 or CS5.5, you should use MP3 format. That will work well with Acrobat 9 Pro and Acrobat X Pro, as well as Reader 9 and Reader X.

• 2. Re: Best audio format to embed for export to pdf?
            Martin S... Level 1

Thanks Steve; by the way, have you tried it yourself? (by "it" I mean embedding mp3s + playing them back vis-a-vis a button in a pdf file.)

• 3. Re: Best audio format to embed for export to pdf?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

MP3 is the recommended format for audio and it works just fine, IME.

Bob

• 4. Re: Best audio format to embed for export to pdf?
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, but there's another option you might consider. The problem with audio files is that you get no controller. You need to create buttons to start and stop the music. You could also consider a video file which is audio only. You should be able to create them in QuickTime or Adobe Media Encoder software. They could have a poster frame but play no video. They would have a controller. You would use MP4, F4V or FLV format.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Best audio format to embed for export to pdf?
                  Martin S... Level 1

Steve, that's (if I remember right) why I had to convert my mp3s to avi when I used CS3; because when I played them back in the exported pdf there was no controller-- but there was for avi. The problem I then had was with Acrobat/reader, which had quicktime set as the default player, so when I clicked the button to play the audio (avi) file, the pdf froze. This I solved by changing the default player FOR EACH audio file in the document (there were over 400) to adobe flash player; and because the audio was avi, as you say, a nice controller appeared, which disappeared once the audio finished. This was an OK workaround, if it wasn't for the fact that because I was using the flash player, the interactive pdf couldn't be used by mac users-- which many of the ebook's readers are. D'oh! So now I'm thinking to just stick with the mp3 format, now that Indesign can handle mp3s, and as you say, create buttons for stop and playback; this also solves the problem of having to post-export adjust the player settings for each file, which is not very fun, because when you edit the indesign document for future versions, it's kind of an annoyance to import pages to replace pages in the pdf without replacing the audio files. Anyway. Steve thank you for thinking out the finer details of my issue; I appreciate it and will have a go at making buttons, and let you know how that goes for such an interactive pdf. Thanks also Bob for the reply.