0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 8:58 AM by Le_nac

Acrobat Reader 8 and 10 coexistence on Windows 7: How to choose the default version

Le_nac

My organisation has installed Acrobat 8 and then Acrobat 10 with the option to keep the version 8 installed. This works fine as we can start both versions independently (after making sure one or the other verion is not running).

One of the old application we use only works with acrobat reader 8 (the only reason why kept it!) but when I try to generate a PDF using PDF creator, the way the application works, acrobat reader X is called when it should be calling reader 8 (the app reads an ini file where the path to 8 is specified).

I found a workaround to make the app call the 8 without touching the file association (when you double click on a pdf, it is opened with reader X) but i am not sure it is "supported" :

in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\AcroRd32.exe i have changed the "default" value to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" and left the "Path" value set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

Do you think this could be a correct solution to our problem so that we can make the changes to the app to work properly on X and get rid of reader 8?

any help would be appreciated!