17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 9:15 AM by hfaulconer@santa-clarita.

InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

hfaulconer@santa-clarita. Level 1

We are currently an InDesign/InCopy workflow for our City quarterly magazine.  I have InDesign on the Mac and there are 7 InCopy stations on PC's. I currently have CS5 for InDesign but have not upgraded the InCopy users yet so for the publication we are using CS4. We are looking at upgrading everyone now to CS5.5 but with CS6 on the horizon (and all the new epublication capabilities),I am wondering if it would be wise to just wait for CS6 at this point. We won't be able to upgrade for a couple more years after we do.

Any comments?

Thank you,

Holly

• 1. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Anyone who knows can't say. Anyone who says something, doesn't know.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
            peter minneapolis Level 4

hfaulconer@santa-clarita. wrote:

We are currently an InDesign/InCopy workflow for our City quarterly magazine.  I have InDesign on the Mac and there are 7 InCopy stations on PC's. I currently have CS5 for InDesign but have not upgraded the InCopy users yet so for the publication we are using CS4. We are looking at upgrading everyone now to CS5.5 but with CS6 on the horizon (and all the new epublication capabilities),I am wondering if it would be wise to just wait for CS6 at this point. We won't be able to upgrade for a couple more years after we do.

Any comments?

Thank you,

Holly

If there's anything that CS5.5 can do that you can't do in CS4, that MUST be in your upcoming issues, that would be a strong factor in upgradiing to CS5.5.

If you're not sure what those differences might be, search Google for "InDesign CS5.5 new features" and similar terms without quotes.

You can download and install a CS5.5 trial on the same computer as CS4 without interference, so you can experiment with CS5.5 to evaluate a new feature's value in your workflow.
            HTH

Regards,

Peter

• 3. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

Not necessarily a great idea. CS5.5 will take over all file associations and uninstalling it could leave you needing to fix them.

Bob

• 4. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

HA HA Thanks for your input.

I am just trying to make best use of upgrade money. I really want to try

CS5.5 and start learning more about epubs, but I don't want to make a

purchase that will tie our hands for two or more years. I guess we will

keep going with our CS4 versions until CS6.

Holly

• 5. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

Peter,

Thank you for your response Peter. I will do the feature search as you

suggest.

Holly

• 6. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

Not sure what you mean? Installing the free 30 day version is a bad idea?

Holly

• 7. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

On a production machine? Just be prepared to have the file association move to CS5.5 and keep in mind that any files you save there will not be compatible with CS4.

You'll need to save back via IDML (before the trial expires) and new features will be lost or mangled. Text is also likely to reflow.

Bob

• 8. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I will not load the trial vs on on production

machine. I have ad some problems with my machine wanting to open all

InDesign files in CS5 since I had it loaded. I am very careful with our

magazine files that are in CS4 for both InDesign and InCopy. I am looking

forward to upgrading everyone so I can have full functionality in the

magazine. I may wait for CS6. If I get some free time I can try 5.5 on my

laptop at home. I am only on CS3 at home. No longer a student I can't

afford to upgrade often.

Holly

• 9. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
                          John Hawkinson Level 5
                          I have InDesign on the Mac and there are 7 InCopy stations on PC's. I currently have CS5 for InDesign but have not upgraded the InCopy users yet so for the publication we are using CS4. We are looking at upgrading everyone now to CS5.5 but with CS6 on the horizon (and all the new epublication capabilities),I am wondering if it would be wise to just wait for CS6 at this point. We won't be able to upgrade for a couple more years after we do.

Stepping slightly aside from your question, if you have 8 seats, you should be using Adobe Volume Licensing (possibly even if you have one seat). In particular, this allows you to purchase Maintenance (Upgrade Plan) from Adobe that guarantees you access to whatever new version comes out during the time span of your maintenance. You should budget for this and make it a solid part of your business plan.

It's a bit tough to find the pricing details on the web, but call an Adobe volume licesning reseller and I'm sure they'll be happy to quote it for you.

It wouldn't surprise me if switching to TLP and buying the maintenance was actually cheaper than just buying it straight-up (but maybe not. They have a point system and and only 1 seat of InDesign might make it hard enough for you to get enough points...).

Also: What do you mean by epublication work? Do you anticipate using InDesign's EPUB (or other) export features? Do you use them now?

• 10. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Ugh. I'm afraid I need to revise my remarks a bit:

It's a bit tough to find the pricing details on the web, but call an Adobe volume licesning reseller and I'm sure they'll be happy to quote it for you.

I was fooled by the nonfunctionality of the Discount calculator if you choose MultiNorthAmerican Language instead of Universal English. I turns out the rates are the same as at the Adobe Business Store.

And I guess it's not-so-good for you. $119 for a CS5.5 InDesign upgrade, and $210 for 2 years of maintenance. $89 each for the InCopy upgrades, and $76 for 2 years of maintenence. So extended out for 1 InDesign and 7 InCopy, that's $1484. Coincidently that's $742 for the upgrades and $742 for for the Update plan (how do they do that)?

But the kicker is, of course, if you had bought the upgrade plans at the same time as you bought the products, then you wouldn't be paying for the upgrade plans now. But of course, they only last 2 years...

But we've heard that Adobe is moving to a 12-month release cycle, so you theoretically expect to get two version for that $742 Update plan (CS6 and then the next one, be it CS7 or CS6.5 or whatever). Except you're inelligable to buy it today, since you don't have CS5.5.

So, umm, where does this leave you? I don't know. I guess I'm a fan of keeping current, because everything changes and you never know what you'll need. But the question is whether CS5.5 is worth it to you. So download the trial and see.

But if you upgrade to CS5.5, you should buy the maintenance. CS5.5 came out in April/May of 2011, so CS6 should come out around the same time, if everything works "acording to plan." So if you buy the maintenance in, say, February, then you'll get CS6 for the same price you paid for CS5.5, as well as the version that comes after it, asuming Adobe sticks to the same timetable.

Ugh. Maybe you should think about the subscription model, I don't know. Or increasing the number of seats so you make it over the TLP point restrictions and up to some actual discounted levels.

• 11. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

John,

Thank you for your comments and advice. I will have my tech department

look into multiple licenses, and the upgrade plans to see what is

available for us. It may save us some money.

I agree with you about staying current and I usually do, at least I did

until we added InCopy. Once we got it working I didn't want to change

anything on the users for awhile. No one wanted to pay for the

upgradeanyway. I upgraded to CS5 and use it for other projects but most of

my time is spent on the publication. Finally timing is everything. If we

are going to upgrade it has to be between issues so we can get the

learning curve and quirks out of the way before we get into heavy

deadlines. 

As far as epubs goes we now only put a pdf up on our website for residents

but in the near future I would like our publication to be available on

ipads, kindles, and other Mobil devices. I would also like to make it more

interactive so they can click on a link and go to where they can register

for a class or get more information.

Thank you again for your advice. I will be looking into it.

• 12. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

A couple points.

I'm not an expert on InCopy interoperability, but I'm under the impression that if you're using ID CS5 with IC CS4 (and maybe I misinterpreted you!), that's not something you can expect to always be able to do: trying to use one version of ID with another version IC...

Also, I think it's important to distinguish between when you pay for/receive the upgrade, and when you actually deploy it.

For instance, we're using CS5 in production but we have licenses for CS5.5. When we'll move to  CS5.5 in production is an open question, but we have the capability to do so (at least from an Adobe licensing perspective) at any time.

• 13. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

You are correct about InCopy and InDesign needing to be the same version

to operate correctly. My comments must have been misleading. We are using

InDesign CS4 and InCopy CS4 for our quarterly magazine. I have the upgrade

to InDesign to CS5 on my Mac but I rarely use it at this point. When we

upgrade all the InCopy Stations I will upgrade to same version of

InDesign. Right now I am thinking about either waiting for CS6, or looking

into the timing of upgrading to CS5.5 so we can get the CS6 upgrade for

the same price (as you suggested).

• 14. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
                                    John Hawkinson Level 5
                                    Right now I am thinking about either waiting for CS6, or looking

into the timing of upgrading to CS5.5 so we can get the CS6 upgrade for

the same price (as you suggested).

That's certainly a viable and reasonable choice, but it's not what I suggested.

My opinion is you want to be on Adobe's Upgrade Plan, so you have a known fixed cost of $742/2-years to maintain InDesign. Unfortunately you can only buy into the upgrade plan if you have the current version. So my suggestion was to upgrade to the current version and then pay for the upgrade plan.

Unfortunately the Upgrade Plan and the Upgrade Itself both cost $742, so the economics may be shaky here.

• 15. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6
                                      peter minneapolis Level 4

hfaulconer@santa-clarita. wrote:

Peter,

Thank you for your response Peter. I will do the feature search as you

suggest.

Holly

Did you find any new feature that is absolutely necessary for your near-term work? If not, you've at least confirmed that there's no immediate pressure to decide on upgrading or waiting, and that you can research the various options and their costs without stress.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 16. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

I am going to have our tech services department look into the upgrade

plan. From what your saying it sounds like the way to go. Thank you so

much.

• 17. Re: InDesign/InCopy CS5.5 or wait for CS6

I did a search and logged into Lynda.com to watch the new features video

for CS5.5. I realized that there was going to be a large learning curve

when we move to making our magazine available on mobile devices. Waiting

might not be a bad thing.

Thanks again for your suggestion.