3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2011 2:14 PM by Lolgamez90

Twixtor pro 5.0 very laggy.

Lolgamez90

Hey guys,

I have a problem with Twixtor pro 5.0.
      Every time i try to make a movie with that effect it laggs allot, it looks like its skipping frames or something.

Using this tutorial from youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g09eUTCbZc

Tryd other tutorials to from the twixtor effect, and one with just frame blending.

This is my failed slow motion video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4SjZ--Au0

I have added a fast movie what i did below or you can read, what you prefer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPyg1uw5RmQ

What i did:

Import file, drag the movie to (create a new Composition) add frame blending,
      right click the bar under timeline and select (frame blending pixelmotion).
      Go to effects select (Twixtor pro) Not edditing Composition for more time since the movie uncut is 03:15.
      Right clicked the movie, and looked in details Frame rate 60 fps, so i set 60 fps with (input: frame rate) of twixtor pro.
      Click on the triangle in the left corner, effects/twixtor pro/output control.
      adding the ancors on the 1st 100% few frames later 2nd 25% 3rd again 25% few frames later 4th 100%.
      And stretching the bar.
      Rendering, and playing its really laggy dont know why.
      Adding to Render Qeue, Using the standard settings for Render.
      All on the best setting i guess.
      Tryed to render it to MP4, Avi, and Quicktime player.
      The video has become 2.5GB and its only 25 sec's.
      Compressed it with Windows live movie maker, and i lost the sound i'll figure it out later.
      Now its only 47 MB.
      I'm loosing allot of quality rendering and compressing the video, as u have noticed i'm a beginner so if you have software and settings u use for rendering and compressing, i would really appreciate it

Been trying this for over 8 hours now and i just cant figure out what is going wrong so please i need your help.
      Sorry for this long boring story, i left as much detail as possible haha.

Computer spec's:

Windows 7 64 bit
      CPU: Q9550
      Videocard: GTX460
      Ram: 4GB Corsair DDR2

• 1. Re: Twixtor pro 5.0 very laggy.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I strongly urge you to read the AE help before delving into such specific stuff. Most of your questions can be easily answered...

The video has become 2.5GB and its only 25 sec's.

Compressed it with Windows live movie maker, and i lost the sound i'll figure it out later.
          Now its only 47 MB.
          I'm loosing allot of quality rendering and compressing the video, as u have noticed i'm a beginner so if you have software and settings u use for rendering and compressing, i would really appreciate it

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/426347?tstart=0

Every time i try to make a movie with that effect it laggs allot, it looks like its skipping frames or something.E

Yes, you are using game footage. Even if it may have been captured at 60fps, not each of these 60frames contains discretely different pixel data. Games cheat a lot and in fact there may be the same pose for several frames, effectively having no motion at all. Twixtor doesn't know that and mathematically correct does - nothing. That aside, if you slow down to 25% you force it to invent 4 frames for every original source frame, making this even more critical and noticeable. I would assume that it really is perfectly normal. If you really wanted to change it, you'd have to change your capture procedure in the first place, meaning you record it at a lower frame rate to get better temporal separation between frames. Then you may be able to see some interpoaltion, but it will still depend on your settings and I'm afraids you need to spend much more time reading the Twixtor help as well. There simply is no magic button or universally applicable setting for such stuff that works on every type of footage. Annoying as it is, it almost always means you'll have to tweak motion sensitivity thresholds with every new clip. Just keyframing the vlaues rarely ever produces good results from the start...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Twixtor pro 5.0 very laggy.
            Lolgamez90 Level 1

Thanks.

I'll try and record it on 29.97 the standard twixtor fps, and going to read more in the help section.

• 3. Re: Twixtor pro 5.0 very laggy.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know why you are enabling Pixel Motion and frame blending. Twixtor does those things internally so there's no need to enable them in the clip. Unless you do time stretching in AE without the use of Twixtor the frame blending settings have no effect on the output. They may even add to the render times.

The key to good slow mo is frames. I'm with Mylenium on this one. The captured footage may or may not be 60 fps. The only way to tell is to step through the footage one frame at a time. You can do this with the page up and page down key in AE. If you really have a descrete image for every frame then your slow mo should work fairly well, especially at 25%. If you have several repeated frames then you will never get good results. 

Also, It's my normal practice to apply Twixtor to a solid and then pick the video layer as the Color Source in Source Control. This avoids having to enable time-remapping or pre-composing clips when you want to use the whole clip. I think it's a cleaner workflow.

You might want to take a look at these tutorials from RE:Vision FX