9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 6:41 AM by peter minneapolis

Learning InDesign

athena windelev Level 1

Which is the best possible way to learn InDesign, and other Design Premium programs coming from Quark9, Illustrator and Photoshop 10? Need to learn fast and easy. Other than Lydia and AdobeTV?

• 1. Re: Learning InDesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Fast? Easy? Well, good luck with that but here's my standard advice:

1. Buy Sandee Cohen's Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/pEVHr1

2. Here's a link for seven day trial at Lynda.com: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Take your time and you'll be fine.

Bob

• 2. Re: Learning InDesign
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

What Bob said.

You will soon find out InDesign is neither fast nor easy to learn. It's not Word, you know, and not targeted at a non-professional audience.

• 3. Re: Learning InDesign
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, if you are willing to give up on "easy" and put some serious skull-sweat into this, I'd suggest this: "Take on a print design project that is too much for your current skillset; post here a lot asking questions about said project; ask lots of questions; do what the forums regulars advise."

It won't be easy but you'll learn a lot. There are other Quark refugees here, so there are plenty of people who can show you where to find corresponding tools, and who can tell you when you need to adapt your document-production philosophy to fit your tools. TBQH, that will happen in a few places - there are tools in ID that kinda mimic Quark, but if you try to use ID like it was Quark then you'll discover something three-quarters of the way through a long document that is a major hitch because you assumed that Quark behaviors would pertain. I've not been a Quark user since 4.1, so I don't remember any of it, but in particular it seems like Quark users expect behaviors out of master page text frames that don't really happen in InDesign.

• 4. Re: Learning InDesign
                athena windelev Level 1

Thankyou. No, I know it won't be fast and easy, just wanted to best

solution, instead of watching Adobe TV for 135 hrs, and that's just for

InDesign. Had wanted to take an intensive course for 3 week period, but

moneys too tight.

Appreciate any good advice. Lynda is a paid service too.

Athena

• 5. Re: Learning InDesign
                  athena windelev Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I've been out of the business for a couple of years,

and hadn't realized that there was so much help out there thru forum use,

help from 'friends' out there, so I'll be asking my questions. Good advice

about taking a 'project' in use, and just go on out there.

Keep in touch / and me in mind.

Athena

• 6. Re: Learning InDesign
                    Brian2025

Why don't you like Lynda.com? I can't say enough good things about it.

I watched a few of the ID courses and in about 3-4 days (~20 hr/day), I got pretty decent. I had zero ID experience before that. It was a lot of fun so I just kept going. I'm no expert, but feel confident typesetting a fairly complex techincal book now. Well...hopefully.

I even got good enough to do the cover, which I was going to contract out. It was a breeze and the comments on my sample book layout and cover have been overwhelmingly positive...with many saying that it is "perfect". Even the pro I am working with told me it was great and to go finish my manuscript, haha.

• 7. Re: Learning InDesign
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Athena,

Please turn of fthe auto-quote on your email, or delele the unnecessary protiuon when you reply to the forum by email. Everything is posted to the web page.

You might find      InDesign for QuarkXPress Users or Moving to InDesign: Use What You Know About QuarkXPress and PageMaker to Get Up to Speed in InDesign Fast!, both by David Blatner, Christopher Smith and Steve Werner to be useful.

• 8. Re: Learning InDesign
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

At $25/month it's a bargain.

Bob

• 9. Re: Learning InDesign
                          peter minneapolis Level 4

athena windelev wrote:

Which is the best possible way to learn InDesign, and other Design Premium programs coming from Quark9, Illustrator and Photoshop 10? Need to learn fast and easy. Other than Lydia and AdobeTV?

Search Google for terms like "quark to InDesign book" without quotes for some titles.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices