1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2006 2:50 PM by Newsgroup_User

Loading Variables from ASP into Flash

bonzomn65
      I can find plenty of tutorials detailing how to load variables from a defined asp page into Flash, but here's my dilemma...

I have an asp page that is reading a URL with a unique identifier in it (www.sampleURL.com?id=123456), and then turns the id number from the URL into a variable. On the same page then, sits my swf where I need to use LoadVars to pull in that ASP variable via Actionscript. If I don't have a static asp page to pull the variables in from and I want to pass the variable within the same asp page the swf is located on, how do I do it? Many thanks in advance...
        • 1. Re: Loading Variables from ASP into Flash
          Level 7

"bonzomn65" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ej0630$pjh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I can find plenty of tutorials detailing how to load variables from a
          >defined
          > asp page into Flash, but here's my dilemma...
          >
          > I have an asp page that is reading a URL with a unique identifier in it
          > (www.sampleURL.com?id=123456), and then turns the id number from the URL
          > into a
          > variable. On the same page then, sits my swf where I need to use LoadVars
          > to
          > pull in that ASP variable via Actionscript. If I don't have a static asp
          > page
          > to pull the variables in from and I want to pass the variable within the
          > same
          > asp page the swf is located on, how do I do it? Many thanks in advance...
          >

You don't need LoadVars for this at all. You can just pass the variable to
          your Flash movie by specifying a query string when you are calling the
          movie.

If you are using the straight object, embed method then it would look
          something like this:

<param name="movie" value="movie.swf?id=11111">
          <embed src="movie.swf?id=11111" ... >

If you are using the ActiveContent JavaScript for your movie then you just
          leave off the .swf... so
          "name", "movie?id=11111"

Then, in flash you can access the value of id from the _root, like
          var idInFlash:Number = _root.id;

Of course in the above example you would replace 11111 with the proper
          syntax for printing a variable's value in ASP.