4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 12:49 AM by acardy

Adobe Reader document security properties miss-match

acardy

Hi,

I've created a document with document assembly allowed and form filling diss-allowed. Infact it's security bitmap mask is:

011011011100 or -2340

So you can clearly see that:

• bit 9 is off, signifying form filling is NOT allowed
      • bit 11 is on, signifying document assembly IS allowed

Problem is I'm seeing this in adobe reader:

Security miss match.png

So my questions:

Why is there an inconsistency between the two dialogs?

Why in the first dialog is form filling allowed?

Thanks in advanced!

Andy.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader document security properties miss-match
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How is this document being created? How are the security being set on the file?

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader document security properties miss-match
            acardy Level 1

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure that's entirely relevant. I guess my query is why does the bitmask which shows that form filling is disallowed, say that it's allowed in the first screen of the document properties. How the bitmask is created doesn't really matter.

Just for cursiousity is it our own software which is generating the PDF.

Thanks!

Andy

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader document security properties miss-match
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

If you are using your own software, I would think that your question is not directly related with Adobe and/or Reader.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader document security properties miss-match
                acardy Level 1
                If you are using your own software, I would think that your question is not directly related with Adobe and/or Reader.

I have to disagree, perhaps you didn't see my first post with my two specific questions?

Why is there an inconsistency between the two dialogs [in adobe reader]?

Why in the first dialog [in adobe reader] is form filling allowed?

So to re-iterate. I've created a PDF with a bitmask (which you can see in my first post) which, to the best of my understanding and interpretation of the PDF spec is correct and valid for a PDF that should diss-allow form filling. This part should really not be in question, unless of course I've interperated the PDF spec wrong and the bitmask is wrong. Either way, the bitmask shows that form filling is not enabled. In adobe reader, the first security details screen says that form filling is enabled. My question is simple, why? Also, why is it inconsistent between the two properties forms?

Anyone have any knowledge about these two security dialogs in adobe reader?

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot!

Andy.