11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 8:29 AM by Jeff Bellune

New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems

OstiaAlex Level 1

Hi,

I wanted to start off by explaining that I'm one of those users who's purchased Premiere Pro 5.5 at a large discount intended at enticing FCP users away from that platform. One of the main draws for me was that I could edit DSLR footage without having to waste the time and disk space neccessary when transcoding. I must admit that I didn't realize when purchasing that the accellerated performance I saw in some tutorials was not possible with a MacBook Pro, which I use as my main computer. I've tried to edit several projects with DSLR footage and, although I can play it on the timeline, it's incredibly rough and choppy and the system has crashed and wiped out my projects on several occasions when trying to sync sound. I am running this machine:

Model Name:    MacBook Pro
        Model Identifier:    MacBookPro5,5
        Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
        Processor Speed:    2.53 GHz
        Number Of Processors:    1
        Total Number Of Cores:    2
        L2 Cache:    3 MB
        Memory:    4 GB
        Bus Speed:    1.07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model:    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
        Type:    GPU
        Bus:    PCI
        VRAM (Total):    256 MB

(this system has worked totally fine when editing ProRes files on FCP7)

I want to know if I've spent money on this software only to find out that I will have to

A) Purchase a 'desktop computer' with a non-mobile graphics card, or

B) Quit using Premiere Pro and just continue to transcode everything and use FCP7 which I already know.

Any other suggestions?

• 1. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Unfortunately, I think you're going to find that editing DSLR footage with that particular setup is going to be a painful experience. My laptop (though a PC) is very similar from a hardware standpoint, and it's able to maybe do a few edits with DSLR footage, but it gets rough pretty quickly. Have you tried setting the playback resolution to 1/2 or even 1/4? Click the Output button in the Program Monitor (looks like three circles) and change the Playback Resolution there. That will lessen the processor load, with the trade-off of lower visual quality during playback--it does not affect output to an encoded file.

If that doesn't help, you could still use a transcoding workflow if you like Premiere Pro as an editor--obviously, one of the big draws to Premiere Pro is that you don't have to transcode, but it is an option. Simply load up your clips in Adobe Media Encoder, and select the format and codec of your choice; since you're on a Mac, presumably with FCP still installed, you can use QuickTime and ProRes as your transcoding codec. You know what this is all about: bigger files, but lower processor hit. It's an option you could use until a later date when you upgrade your hardware, and one convenience is that if you maintain the filenames from the originals, you could easily replace the ProRes transcodes with the DSLR H.264 originals.

Finally, if none of that works, so long as you're in your 30-day purchase window, you can get a refund for Premiere Pro. Obviously, that's a last-ditch solution (and again, depends on when you purchased PPro), but it might save you from spending money on something that just doesn't work for you. As a user and fan of Premiere Pro, I'd like to help you avoid going down that road but I totally sympathize with having to do what works.

If we can get you to stay, welcome to the club!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
            OstiaAlex Level 1

Thanks Colin,

Your answer was prompt, made sense and was to the point. I'll give it another go with the playback resolution down to 1/4. At this point it would be much easier for me to continue editing in FCP, as even though I'm fairly amatuer, I still know my way around that software a lot better, but if the help continues to be so 'helpful' then I could give this a shot.

I'll post another question to put the forum to the test...

PS: I tried to mark your answer as 'the correct answer' but it keeps giving me errors. Forum needs to check that out.

• 3. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
              needles27 Level 3

My experience has been that dropping the resolution to half or quarter when editing H.264 actually increases the strain on the CPUs. Must have something to do with the heavy burden of decoding. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge of the mathmatics behind decoding can explain that. Hope you can make PPro work for you - I'm a switcher as well and see the promise of this new platform.

• 4. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                Colin Brougham Level 6
                I'll give it another go with the playback resolution down to 1/4.

That may be all you need to do. It will depend, too, on where your files are stored. A fast drive setup will help quite a bit. In any event, if your edits are not too complex, you might be OK; once you start adding effects, though, things will go from shaky to worse from a playback standpoint

At this point it would be much easier for me to continue editing in FCP, as even though I'm fairly amatuer, I still know my way around that software a lot better, but if the help continues to be so 'helpful' then I could give this a shot.

Do check out the Keyboard Shortcuts customization; there is a preset that configures most of the familiar shortcuts to how they're mapped in FCP7, so if you're a heavy-duty keyboard user, you'll get up to speed quickly. We're getting quite a few FCP expats here lately, and I think that most of them are finding the transition to be not so difficult, once they find their workflow analogs in Premiere Pro. When you get right down to it, the editing principles in one NLE are not that different from another, no matter where you go. But do feel free to ask lots of questions--that's what we're here for!

I'll post another question to put the forum to the test...

Bring it on

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                  needles27 Level 3

Colin, a little tangential to the topic - thanks for being the most welcoming person on these boards for Mac switchers.

• 6. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

You're welcome My feeling is that there's room for everybody, and we've all got plenty we can learn from one another.

Now, sing it with me... kumbaya....

• 7. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                      OstiaAlex Level 1

OK!! Its the Mixed Frame Rates question (posted in the forum); which I know you can answer, as I've seen some dialogue from another related question. I'm still stumped. Maybe its a lot easier than I imagine...

• 8. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are some additional tips to making Premiere Pro work faster here.

These resources should help you to get started with Premiere Pro if you know FCP.

• 9. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> OK!! Its the Mixed Frame Rates question; which I know you can answer, as I've seen some dialogue from another related question. I'm still stumped. Maybe its a lot easier than I imagine...

What's the question, exactly?

You can mix frame rates in a sequence, if that is the question.

This should help explain things a bit:

FAQ: How do I choose the right sequence settings?

• 10. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                            OstiaAlex Level 1

Thanks, I'll check that out.

The exact question is posted as a new subject in the forum. 'Conform, Transcode Mixed Frame Rates' ... something like that.

I thought it best to start a new thread with that one and I've explained my problem in detail there.

Cheers!

• 11. Re: New to Premiere, migrating from FCP7 having problems
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

needles27 wrote:

Colin, a little tangential to the topic - thanks for being the most welcoming person on these boards for Mac switchers.

Seconded.

-Jeff