5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 3:15 PM by Peter Spier

Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5

Lena2012

Hello,

This is the second time I encounter this problem making a PDF file since I switched to CS5. The first time, I made the PDF file at home then at work and it was fine. Since the design was very complex and full color I attributed the problem to my ibook not having enough memory. Some graphics, vector icons, and images did not show once exported to a PDF file.

This time the design is one color (black), the images are grayscale, the vector icons have no gradient. I have a total of 10 images and 10 icons (chapter opener); the icon is in the master page. One I saved the PDF file at home the icon only showed on the first instance so I have to save each page separately the compile the whole file.

So today I tested it at work; the icon is showing but some images are missing. I noticed that sometimes if the opacity was not 100% the image was missing but it was not always the case.

Hope I can find a solution to this problem.

Thank you in advance

~Lena

• 1. Re: Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's very interesting, but there's really nothing in your post that will help us figure out what's going wrong.

What version of InDesign are you using? Is it fully patched to the latest update? What operating system? What settings are you using for maiking the PDF? Export or print to file/distill?

What application are you using to view the PDF? Mac preview is not capable of displaying many features of advanced PDF properly, including transparency in may cases.

Can you post a link to a sample PDF page that shows the problem?

• 2. Re: Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5
            Lena2012 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I never encounter this problem before. I have encountered several problems with CS5

What version of InDesign are you using?--- InDesign CS5

Is it fully patched to the latest update?---Not sure how to answer this question but I assume it's the first one since my ibook is new.

What operating system?--MacOSX v.10.6.6 /Intel Core i3

What settings are you using for maiking the PDF?---setting are provided by the printer / Worzalla provided a file to export for printing

Export or print to file/distill?-- Export

Thanks,

~L

What application are you using to view the PDF?--- Acrobat Prof. 9Pages from Dos_Donts pg117.jpg

Mac preview is not capable of displaying many features of advanced PDF properly, including transparency in may cases.

Can you post a link to a sample PDF page that shows the problem?

• 3. Re: Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5

The current version of CS5 is 7.0.4. The first step is to verify that the patch is already installed, or to download and install it. On the Mac, go to InDesign > and while holding down the Cmd key select About InDesign... the  full version and build number will be listed inteh upper left corner of the expanded "about" dialog.

If you need the update, you can get it at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5004

In ID, go to File > PDF Presets > Define... and find the custom set provided by the printer. Select it and click Edit. Click Advanced in the left column, and make sure that NO boxes are checked in the OPI section.

If these don't solve the problem, I think we will need to see the actual PDF, not a screen capture, and possibly the ID file as well.

• 4. Re: Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5
                Lena2012 Level 1

Hello,

I installed the updates but still not working. Some images are missing in the PDF file. If I turn the opacity to 100% they will show but not at 80%.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Problems making a PDF from Indesign CS5

Sorry for the delay, been out all afternoon.

I think we'll need to see the files. Please put the ID file, the PDF and the Joboptions file from the printer into a folder and zip them, then post on a server someplace (if you don't have some other server, you can send the files to yourself using YouSendIt.com). Either post a link to the files here, or if you don't want to share with everyone, you can send the link to me in a private message (Click my name to go to my profile, then click Send Private Message in the actions box on the right).