26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2011 7:17 PM by jeff 64

Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import

jeff 64

Hi. I just upgraded to cs5.5 with Lion and now a number of my previous cs4 projects will not load various flavors of video. One major problem I discovered was that after installing Lion, both of my Quicktime folders in the user and system library were missing (the system library is hidden in Lion by default, so I revealed it). These folders hold various quictime components, which I recreated from a backup. Now Quictime will play all of the video, but PPro responds with a generic import error. I have included a number of screen shots below showing the video file and library info. (I wish bridge would interogate the files and provide this information, but I use video spec). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a number of clients waiting for resolution. Thank you. -Jeff

Adobe-cs5.jpgVideo-specs.jpg

Video-spec-2.jpgSystem-Library.jpgLibrary-1.jpg

• 1. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Jeff,

Not a Mac user, so I'm kind of shooting from the hip here: you might need to have QuickTime 7 installed in order to import these into Premiere Pro. I'm assuming QuickTime X is the default installed player on Lion, but Premiere Pro can't use that (I don't believe).

Can you verify that you do or don't have QT7 installed?

(Again, just a big guess on my part...)

• 2. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
            jeff 64 Level 1

Thanks for responding, I am running quicktime 10.1

I will give that I try and post again with the results.

• 3. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

QuickTime 10 (X) doesn't count.

Premiere Pro requires QuickTime 7.

They're barely related programs, despite the same names.

• 4. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for the clarification, Todd. Might I suggest a simple blog post on this subject? Seems a lot of switchers and those doing fresh Lion installs would benefit from the knowledge...

I'm also going to suggest an amendment to the help documents on supported import formats. It says:

MOV (QuickTime Movie; in Windows, requires QuickTime player)

Clearly, it's not only Windows that requires QT Player, and more specifically, QT Player 7.

• 5. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                  jeff 64 Level 1

Todd-  Thanks for the information. I downloaded the QT 7.6.6 from apples site here :http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678 which specifies that it is compatible with lion and also that it downloads into your applications/utility folder upon installation. It did update my Library and added a number of components as shown in the screen shot below. Unfortunately, when I try to run QT 7, it is uable to open and I get the error message below. I attempted to re-open my project to see if the additional components where the key, but has not soved the import issue. My next attempt will be a de-install of lion, then re-install of ppro. Uggh.

QT-quit.jpgNew-library.jpg

• 6. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Jeff,

Can you try moving out those components that you backed up and put back in place after installing Lion originally? It might be one of those that's causing the problem. If QT launches once those are removed, you might try adding them back in one at a time to find the problem component.

However, I think I might have another idea of what's causing the issue: did you have FCP installed previously, before installing Lion?

• 8. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                      jeff 64 Level 1

One other note for Mac Lion users: You can not drag / unistall QT 10 via the trash. The error message states that the program is need for the Lion OS. So that might also cause a potential conflict with which version of QT Premiere is communicating with. I would love a specific approved component list from adobe/apple or the option to sign up for these critical tech requirements, like the need for QT 7. How else are we to find or be notified of this important information?

• 9. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, I think I see what the problem is then: you need FCP installed These clips appear to be Apple HDV, and--IIRC--the only way you can "unlock" that decoder component is to have an Apple pro application installed (e.g. FCP). The component called "AppleMPEG2Codec.component" is probably what should be handling these, but because you don't have FCP installed, the codec won't work; in fact, that's probably what's causing the QT crash (removing the components would be a good way to test this).

So, I don't think you need to reinstall Lion, etc.--you just need to install FCP.

• 10. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

So that might also cause a potential conflict with which version of QT Premiere is communicating with.

No, I don't think that's a concern. As Todd mentioned, QT7 and QTX don't have much similarity beyond the name, and Premiere Pro knows which version its looking for. The two applications can exist side-by-side, and Premiere Pro will use what it's programmed to use.

See my other post for what I think is the solution...

• 11. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Thanks for the clarification, Todd. Might I suggest a simple blog post on this subject? Seems a lot of switchers and those doing fresh Lion installs would benefit from the knowledge...

Good idea.

I wrote this for After Effects, but the information is almost all relevant for Premiere Pro, too:

"troubleshooting QuickTime errors with After Effects"

• 12. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We do list QuickTime 7 in the system requirements:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

... but I can see that it's not obvious that we mean "7.6.2 or later, but not X".

Curse the people who created an application named "foo X" that wasn't actually an upgrade to "foo 7".

• 13. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

... and while you're at it, explain to me why you're required (or at least directed) to install a version of the software (7.6.6) that is about a year and a half old on a brand new operating system, particularly when there are several updates since then (7.6.9, I believe)?

Weird.

• 14. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yeah, the system requirements are unclear about being _minimum_ system requirements. Listing QuickTime 7.6.2 is meant to be taken as "... or greater". But the confusion of QuickTime X naming throws that off.

I'm going to try to get that kind of thing clarified for the next version.

• 15. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

I should have clarified: Apple's own KB document on QT7 in Lion suggests and links to 7.6.6, and not 7.6.9. Seems... illogical that you'd be required to use an older version of an add-on application with a new OS... but Apple seems to have their own logic at times

• 16. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                      Jim Curtis Level 3
                                      The component called "AppleMPEG2Codec.component" isprobably what should be handling these, but because you don't have FCP installed, the codec won't work

I'm mostly butting out of this thread, but I thought I'd add that IF this is the issue, you might not have to install FCP, because this codec.component is for sale standalone on the Apple site, for 30 or 40 bucks.

And if you do buy it, I'm pretty sure you need to install it both in the Root>Library>Quicktime folder as the User>Library>Quicktime folder for all apps (such as MPEG Streamclip, which needs it in the User folder) to see it.

• 17. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Hey Jim,

That was a typo on my part--I think what Jeff actually needs is the AppleHDV.component. The component you're referring to is for playing back stuff like DVD video in QT Player; his files (based on the screenshots in the first post) are Apple HDV captures, which is Apple's "native" packaging of HDV in an MOV file. That's a pro app only component, I believe; for Windows and Mac users without FCP, Calibrated{Q} XD Decode also should work.

FWIW, I've got a bit of a hackneyed workflow to rewrap Apple HDV files on Windows that lets them be imported into PPro for free... not sure how or if it works on a Mac, though.

• 18. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                          Jim Curtis Level 3

Ahh.  Gotcha', Colin.

The MPEG2 component is needed for playing or transcoding MPEG2 files (duh) that have been created by DVDSP, Encore, Squeeze, Episode, etc.

It may be needed to write those files as well.  But, I'm not sure about that.

• 19. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                            jasonvp Level 3

Colin Brougham wrote:

I should have clarified: Apple's own KB document on QT7 in Lion suggests and links to 7.6.6, and not 7.6.9.

There appears to be some sort of incompatibility between QT X and QT 7.6.9.  If you have the former installed (ie, you're running Lion), you can't install the latter.  I'm guessing it's because Apple may have started merging the two, or... something.

So long and short of it is: If you're a Mac user and need Quicktime for PPro, then stick with 7.6.6.  You can't go any higher.

jas

• 20. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                              jeff 64 Level 1

O.K. I took a long lunch and am ready to try re-installing some of the missing componets mentioned in this thread before going ahead with a total removal/reinstall of the os and ppro. For clarification, Final Cut Pro was already installed/resident before installing both lion and cs5.5. I cant imagine why these registered and pre-paid components would be deleted on the install of the new OS, so for those of you getting ready to upgrade, please insure you backup your library. I will repost if I make some progress, thanks again for everyones input.

• 21. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Jeff,

Can you clarify what your install process was? I mean, I'm assuming you were running an earlier version of Mac OS X, and had FCP installed; (because I don't know) does installing a new OS version preserve installed applications and settings and such? Is FCP installed currently? I'm pretty sure you need to have FCP installed, and not just the components--otherwise, you could just pirate the components around the web, and that's what Apple wants to avoid. I suspect that when those components are loaded, they're programmed to look for an installation of FCP...

• 22. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                                  jeff 64 Level 1

Colin- Yes, when you upgrade the OS on a mac,( most of the time ) your applications and preferences are preserved and you do not need to re-install. I had final cut pro installed on both my macbook pro and macpro prior to the upgrade to Lion and FC worked on both after the install. I verified that I have all of the quicktime components needed in my folders by cross checking with my backup catalog from osx and cs4.

Also, Quicktime is opening up all of my video files, so something else must be missing that PPro needs.

I am in the process of restoring my HD to pre-lion state. 3 1/2 hours from now I will be able to re-install cs5.5 on Snow Leopard with quicktime 7.6.6 and see if my cs4 projects open back up. On a positive note, with brand new projects on cs5.5 it was amazing to watch the improved speed in the render bar!

• 23. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                                    jeff 64 Level 1

Well, I solved the problem but I had to de-install Lion to do it, so I will not close out the thread until I update the post after the next Lion attempt.

Here are the steps I took.

Clean Install of Snow Leopard from the DVD. This erased everything on the HD.

Update all system software.

Download and install Quicktime 7.6.6

Register Quicktime Pro (Fortunately I had the old receipt) This drops in the AppleMPEG2Codec.component

Copy over the AppleHDVCodec.component to the user library.

Install CS5.5

Big smile.

One important change is that I did NOT install Final Cut this time.

I just copied in the missing AppleHDVCodec.component to the library.

I had this file in the correct folder post install of Lion, but for some reason PPro would not recognize it.

My best guess is some other file (maybe a framework file) in the library was corrupted or altered during the Lion Installation.

I also have not copied over all of the other codec.compents yet. I plan to drop these in as needed if new import errors occur.

Below are the screen shots of the new librarys.

Library-Fixed-1.jpgLibrary-fixed-2.jpg

• 24. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                                      Jon Chappell Level 3

There's a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. Lion ships with the QuickTime 7 API (which is what Premiere uses) but it does not ship with the QT 7 Player. That's all it is - a player. You don't need to install it in order to run Premiere.

This is explained in more detail here:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/quicktime_7_and_x_frequently_asked_questions.ht ml

I think the original issue was a side-effect of upgrading the OS (perhaps something to do with permissions). I heard of similar problems when Snow Leopard came out. Apple rather annoyingly tends to develop its own versions of common codecs so Apple H.264 and Apple HDV are unlikely to be readable by third-party applications without these components installed.

Also, it's worth noting that the most up-to-date version of QuickTime for modern Mac platforms is 7.6.6. Versions higher than this contain security updates for the older 10.5 Leopard platform or Windows.

• 25. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                                        mirrorprod

Dear All,

I have been able in fixing the problem. I have a Macintosh, and I have done the upgrade to Lion OS too.

Therefore, I had the same problem. I carefully read this discussion and I would like to clarify one point.

Quicktime 7th and 10th can co-exist on Mac OS X, in the same way of snowleopard. The upgrade to lion did not change anything. I have called both Apple and Adobe, and any of them was able in finding a solution.

I couldn’t open Qt7 at work, but when i opened it at home, I realized that the problem was in the CODEC.

21 Codecs against only 3. I moved the coded on an external hard-drive and Qt7 started working again.

I then called my peer (who did not do the upgrade to lion), and asked him to send me his codeds. Then I have Pasted it in the original Folder.

Both Quick Time and Premiere are fully working again.

Apple customer service, assumed that adobe suite cs 5.5 in not compatible with Lion.

On the other hand Adobe has not realized the problem.

Unfortunately, their assistance and customer service is not efficient comparable to all the money that we use to spend every year.

• 26. Re: Generic import error - Lion - CS5.5 - Will not import
                                                          jeff 64 Level 1

Well, I tried all of the advice above on my laptop, which was still running Lion, but to no avail. One last ditch effort (that I should have considered earlier) was to run the disk utility and verify/repair my disk permissions. My eyebrows went up as the screen rolled by, every single repair was related to quicktime! So, maybe that might be a fix for some of you to try, but it proved fruitless for me. I wiped the hardrive and re-installed snow lep. Of course, I would enjoy the benefit of a faster OS, but I need the adobe suite up and running. So if there is anyone else who has sucessfully installed both Lion and CS5.5 I would appreciate your input. Thanks for your help.