9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 11:16 AM by ADGdesign

Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4

ADGdesign

When I insert a character from the glyph palette, it doesn't retain the paragraph style. For example, I'm using Minion Pro and inserting the fraction for one half. The fraction inserts, but then the paragraph style has a plus sign which indicates a change to the paragraph style. What's causing this?

• 1. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the paragraph style options and for the Open Type Features go to Stylistic Sets and uncheck the Sets.

You could use Fractions in the open type then when you type 1/2 it will turn into a fraction.

It's because the Glyph in Minion Pro is using a different stylistic set in the open type than what is specified in the paragraph style.

• 2. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
            ADGdesign Level 1

Under Open Type Features of the Paragraph Styles Options, all of the Sets within Stylistic Sets were all unchecked. I tried checking them to see if that would work, it did not. I also tried selecting Fractions within the Open Type Features. That made fractions out of every number and some punctuation.

I tested it using Myriad Pro and had the same issues. I also tested it with Warnock Pro. With that font, using Fractions within the Open Type Features worked but still the same problem with using glyphs. This just may be a glitch between the fonts and the software.

• 3. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4

Well I tested it myself before posting. The Glyph from the Glyphs panel is using a different style set than that in ther paragraph style.

You can see this yourself if you make a Fraction with fractions turned on and also insert a glyph.

Use File>Export and choose InDesign Tagged Text. Open the Tagged Text file in notepad or similar and search for "fraction" and you'll see that the style sets are different.

When I tested it in InDesign the Paragraph override didn't come on when I unchecked the style sets in the Paragraph Style.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
                ADGdesign Level 1

I'm sure your right about the glyph from the Glyphs Panel is using a different style set than that in the Paragraph Style. But I still can't get it to work (avoid paragraph override) even when I have unchecked the style sets in the Paragraph Style. I must have something else going on to cause this. Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4

is this posing you any problems at the moment? What's the downside of just overriding that glyph? Can you make a GREP style specifically for those fraction glyphs that apply the correct style set?

• 6. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

This behavior is somewhat normal and expected, and you cannot get around it.

OpenType fonts express some glyphs with opentype features which are character-level overrides. It is not possible to get tose glyphs in InDesign without the overrides. There's not much point in trying. Multiple glyphs map to the same unicode codepoint.

If you tell us exactly which glyph you're talking about we can confirm this for certain.

But it's a fact of life.

• 7. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
                      ADGdesign Level 1

I'm working on a cookbook so I've been using all of the fraction glyphs (one half, one third, etc). To go back and fix the overrides adds time to the project. If overrides are unavoidable, that's OK. At least now I know what's going on.

• 8. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

I assume using the Opentype Fraction mode is insufficient for your needs...another choice maybe a GREP style to detect and apply the fraction overrides apprporiately.

Also, there are several scripts that people use to process fractions in documents (like Proper Fraction?). I'm not well-versed in them so I can't give recommendations, but search around or ask out loud [possibly in another topic, if the fraction-experts have started ignoring this one based on the title].

• 9. Re: Gylphs and paragraph styles in InDesign CS4
                          ADGdesign Level 1

I will look into using GREP styles as suggested by both you and Eugene Tyson. I have heard of Proper Fractions and will look into that, too. Thanks for all of the help.