6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 10:50 AM by Jim Curtis

Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)

Jim Curtis Level 3

The fields in this pref are editable.  I can change the words, "Blue, Cyan, Green" etc. in the Pref Pane.  But, I'm still stuck with the default names when I right-click a clip in the timeline and choose "Label."

The only place where I see those field name changes reflected is in the Preferences > Label Defaults Pane.

This is a bug, right?

What if I wanted to change those color names to be Good, Bad, MOS, GFX, etc.?  That would be much more useful than the default color names, because I like to color code my clips in the Timeline.  It makes effects editing (and clip classification) much simpler.

Or, am I doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Labels are really goofy in Premiere Pro, at present; they don't work that well, quite frankly. I've made extensive requests to rework this part of Premiere Pro, but the simple answer to your query is that it's not a bug, but rather a not well-implemented feature. What you're suggesting would be logical, but I'm afraid the labels are just hardwired into the application--you can't even search for the custom labels in the Project panel!

So, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's feature request time: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)
            Jim Curtis Level 3

Thank you, Colin, for the reply and the link.  I just submitted a Feature Request.

It's kind of useless that the changes you make to Label names only show up in the next Pref Pane.

I don't even see how it's useful to color code items in the Project Tab.  They already have their unique icons.  What more do you need? 

On that subject, I'd love to see the Project fields "hide-able" like they are in AE.  I never saw the use for Labels there (or in AE for that matter).  I need to make another Feature Request.

• 3. Re: Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't even see how it's useful to color code items in the Project Tab.  They already have their unique icons.  What more do you need? 

Actually, there is one very useful feature, IMO: the ability to select clips in a bin or in a sequence based on their label color. Right-click a clip, go to to Labels, and select Select Label Group; all footage items with that label will be selected. This can be really helpful for cleaning up a project, or mass replacing stuff in a sequence. One of my requests was that we have many more (12-20) labels that we can define ourselves, so that their is a finer degree of granularity with how you label footage items. Right now, labels are (automatically) based on the footage item type, or (manually) if you assign a label. Being able to create labels like you suggest, e.g. Good, Bad, MOS, etc., would be much more user-friendly in that regard.

On that subject, I'd love to see the Project fields "hide-able" like they are in AE.  I never saw the use for Labels there (or in AE for that matter).  I need to make another Feature Request.

They are. Click the flyout menu in the Project panel  (kind of like Avid's hamburger menu) and go to Metadata Display. You can check and uncheck the fields you want to see there. You can also rearrange columns/field names in the Project panel by dragging them around.

• 4. Re: Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

For you use, you might want to use another Column, say Description, or Comment, which allow the user to enter Text. As the Columns can be moved about, you can put them in almost any order. You can then Sort on the Text that you have entered. Not as colorful as Labels, but quite effective.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

Oh my.  I hadn't discovered that Metadata Display yet.  That's even more featured than AE's Project display!  Thanks again, Colin. 

I do love the ability to Select Label Group in a Sequence.  That is very useful, indeed, like for Pasting Attributes, etc.

Bill, once I put a clip in a Sequence, I rarely go back to the Bin for info.  I don't organize my footage the way some OCD people do (which is not to say that I'm not OCD myself!).  After decades of doing NLE work, I find it more useful to just drag all my footage into a master Sequence, and start winnowing it down and categorizing into new Sequences, as opposed to naming clips, put a description on them, etc.  That's a personal preference from a guy who works alone.  I get work done faster that way.  But, I do appreciate the tip.  Thanks!

• 6. Re: Preferences > Label Colors bug?  (Mac CS5.5)
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh my.  I hadn't discovered that Metadata Display yet.  That's even more featured than AE's Project display!  Thanks again, Colin. 

Indeed; there's gobs of stuff you can look at in there Also, the Metadata Panel shows lots of information about a file, and you can similarly customize the display there. Important note: save your customized views in the settings dialogs. If you get a view you like, it'll only be saved in the project, and not program-wide. You can then go into the Metadata Display dialog and quickly apply those custom settings, then.