11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 2:01 PM by twyla922@gmail.com

Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9

Kris S.

The video portion of my movie clips keep freezing when I add a title to it in Premiere 9.  The audio portion continues playing without issues, only the video portion seems to be affected.   Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With Titles, you will get a red line above them, when placed onto the Timeline. If playback is halting, or hanging, I would hit the Enter key to Render those Titles, for smoothest playback and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
            Kris S. Level 1

What is rendering?

• 3. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
              Kris S. Level 1

Also I had a red line before the title was added and it remains even if I delete it.  What does the red line signify?

• 4. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE goes into full details. Rendering is basically creating proxy files, just for playback, and is accomplished by hitting Enter/Return.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The red line above your Clips means one of several things:

• Your Source Footage does not match your Project Preset. What are the specs. of your Source Footage, and what are the specs. of your Project's Preset?
                  • You have added an Effect to footage, that does match the Preset, but now that Clip needs to be Rendered for smoothest playback.
                  • You have added a Clip, or Title, above footage, so it needs to be Rendered for smoothest playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                    Kris S. Level 1

Rendering worked.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great!

Rendering provides for smoothest playback, though if one is not having any issues, having those red lines is not a bad thing. The program is just telling you that for the best, real-time playback, Rendering will be needed. I often complete Projects, and never Render - playback is adequate, with the red lines. OTOH, there are times, where I am doing critical animation, and Effects, and might Render one section dozens of times, as I need to see things at their best.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - HERE is a partial list of some great resources for learning PrE. I strongly recommend the materials, books and articles, from Steve Grisetti.

• 8. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                        twyla922@gmail.com

Talk about annoyance and frustration..  I installed PE9 upon

recommendation of the Adobe Support Techs, and I just spent 3 hours with one about how after

two or more minutes of putting a text message in the project I get/got this

message" A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

The Adobe Premiere tech finally told me, after going through the "check list"  the project WAS/is the problem and "everything else was alright..." so I started a new project. Then, with only

12 min. into the project and entering three text

overlays, within 3 min. I got the same "rotten" message.  I HOPE there is someone reading this

who might have a real practical solution.  It is impossible to get a project done

when this happens so consistently.  I am looking for help!!!!

Message was edited by: twyla922@gmail.com

• 9. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure that we can help more than Adobe T/S, but this ARTICLE has proved very helpful, when others have experienced crashes or hangs.

The first half of the article is devoted to the main causes of crashes. Beyond that, the links provide many troubleshooting tips, and rather work up in "order of difficult,."before culminating in The Case of the Unexplained, that offers some in-depth MicroSoft tips and also tools.

Good luck, and that helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                            twyla922@gmail.com Level 1

I appreciate it!  I plan to check it all out!

Twyla McConnell

People believe what we do more

than what we say..

• 11. Re: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9
                              twyla922@gmail.com Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I have looked at the information and will review it all again.

I just spent another 2 hrs. + trying to still resolve the problem.  I have started a new project, I uninstalled and reinstalled with their people, and when I was told a higher lever technician would get back to me in 3-4 days, I started to politely demand some kind of explanation for taking my valuable time.  I have used Premiere Elements for years and now, after being told by their techs to upgrade to PE9, I am have a time-consuming issue.

So now, as it has been explained to me, they are going to look through the system log and try to discover from the "errors" what is causing this to continue.  It has been established twice there is nothing wrong with my computer.  Everything is upgraded, etc.

So, we shall see.  In the meantime, I will review the information you sent.  Thanks again!

I will keep you informed!

Twyla McConnell

"Just when the caterpillar

thought its life was over

it turned into a butterfly"

To: Twyla McConnell <twyla922@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 7:37 PM

Subject: Titles Freezing Movie Clips in Premiere 9

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure that we can help more than Adobe T/S, but this http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0 has proved very helpful, when others have experienced crashes or hangs.

The first half of the article is devoted to the main causes of crashes. Beyond that, the links provide many troubleshooting tips, and rather work up in "order of difficult,."before culminating in The Case of the Unexplained, that offers some in-depth MicroSoft tips and also tools.

Good luck, and that helps,

Hunt