2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 6:06 PM by DebbieBerne

Font style vs. font family in paragraph style

DebbieBerne

Hi, Am I the only one that can't figure out how to define a font family in my paragraph style without defining the font style as well? Sometimes if I define my paragraph style by selecting type that has multiple font styles in it, InDesign will leave the font style blank while defining the family, but I can't always get it to work.

Primarily I want to apply a font family to a paragraph that includes both roman and italic type, without the par style considering the italic type as outside the style.

Any help is much appreciated.

Debbie

• 1. Re: Font style vs. font family in paragraph style
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Nope. Paragraph styles need to include a basic font specification for ALL parameters of the type. I've never seen ID leave the style blank, by the way, so I wonder what version and build you are using.

If you have some text within a paragraph that need a different specification, you should be applying a Character style to that text. Character styles are not considered as overrides.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Font style vs. font family in paragraph style
            DebbieBerne Level 1

Thanks for the info. I am in CS5 and there definitely are times when I select type with multiple font styles and when I create a par style from that the Family will be defined and the font style will be left blank. But I can't always recreate this lucky twise of fate. I did not know that character styles were not considered overrides though--that's clearly the way to go.Thanks so much.

Debbie