4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 8:16 PM by John Waller

External CSS and Templates

Forehand Frenzy

I am fairly new to using CSS and Dreamweaver having finally taken the plunge and dropped Micromumble mumble...  I am wondering about external CSS and templates.  When I assign a template to the external CSS does the CSS also translate down to the documents that are attached to the template or do each of them need to be attached to the CSS itself to work as well?  Thanks for any help offered.

• 1. Re: External CSS and Templates
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

By Templates, I assume you mean Dreamweaver Templates (.dwt file extension) from which child pages are created.

Dreamweaver Templates have editable regions and non-editable regions.

All code inside non-editable regions e.g. links to CSS files, propagates to (can be found in) all child pages based on that Template.

Code and content inside editable regions is unique to each child page.

• 2. Re: External CSS and Templates
            mytaxsite.co.uk Level 6

When I assign a template to the external CSS

You don't assign a template to external CSS but you attach a css file to your template.  Then you need to save the template file.  When you save the template file, you get a message asking whether you want to update all your child pages related/linked to that template.  You always answer YES for changes to take place.

hth

• 3. Re: External CSS and Templates
              Forehand Frenzy Level 1

Just to clarify, if I have a class to define the color of my links in the template that is used in the uneditable regions but I also use the links in the editable regions, do I need to attach the CSS to the child as well?  I have two different link colors depending on where the link is in the page and use the CSS in both the template (parent) and the page (child).

• 4. Re: External CSS and Templates
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to clarify, if I have a class to define the color of my links in the template that is used in the uneditable regions but I also use the links in the editable regions, do I need to attach the CSS to the child as well?

Need to clarify the terms here.

How is the class defined and what do you mean by attached the CSS?

Probably easier to explain by example.

Can you paste the code here?