4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 12:28 AM by fvjfvj

Reactivating an old director app

fvjfvj

In 1997 we created two little games for a customer of ours, the whole thing was created (as far as I recall) in director 4.0 and Win 95 (i believe).

So far so good.

Today we would like to present these two games on our company homepage, in a playable format. The problem is. We do not have the sources anymore, appearantly they were cleaned out along with the old DOS - Machine they were residing on. :-((.  All we have is an executable, some .wav's and severeal

.dxr-Files.

The question is, is there any way to extract the contents of the dxr - files, pictures, scripts, etc, in order to "reverse engineer" these two games either again

in director, or in flash, or whatever tool seems to be appropriate ?

Because from what I've learned so far the .dxr stuff is not editable in director itself anymore.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing: We've managed to start thes apps using the shockwave player in the meantime, unfortunately the apps (although playable) to abend in some cases.

• 1. Re: Reactivating an old director app
          Wolfgang Herold Level 2

Bad news.

You cannot recover scripts, as that are not stored inside the dxr's. only the binaries of the scripts.

all other media can be exported with some tricks.

regards

wolfgang

• 2. Re: Reactivating an old director app
            fvjfvj Level 1

hmm, well, thats not what I hoped to hear but more or less what I feared,

anyway would you be prepared to share the knowledge about these tricks, in order to recover

the rest of the media

for starters what would be needed from a tools perspective ?

One more question though, where are the scripts stored in that case, because when I,m running

the whole thing in firefox, the shockwave plugin only has the dxr's nevertheless it works (to some

extent at least)

Am 10.08.2011 um 22:49 schrieb Wolfgang Herold:

Bad news.

You cannot recover scripts, as that are not stored inside the dxr's. only the binaries of the scripts.

all other media can be exported with some tricks.

regards

wolfgang

>

• 3. Re: Reactivating an old director app
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

The scripts are in the cast libraries, they're just in a compiled state that can't be decompiled to plain text again.

The "trick" is to get a message window open with your projector and issue a saveMovie() command. Which version of Director was your executable created with?

• 4. Re: Reactivating an old director app
                fvjfvj Level 1

As far As I recall ans from Looping at THe dump of THe executable THe whole thing was created using Director 4. But that too went down the drain along with everything else when THe development pc was scrapped. Sorry for the typos i'm sitting in my Car currently.

Tax for your help so far

regards Alfred

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 11.08.2011 um 08:52 schrieb Sean_Wilson <forums@adobe.com>:

The scripts are in the cast libraries, they're just in a compiled state that can't be decompiled to plain text again.

The "trick" is to get a message window open with your projector and issue a saveMovie() command. Which version of Director was your executable created with?

>