9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 10:04 AM by HeyMikey

how to increase Page Information

ddfpv

Is here a way to increase the font of the "page information" when I print an InDesign page? Thanks!

• 1. Re: how to increase Page Information
          John Hawkinson Level 5

It is bit complicated.

See http://indesignsecrets.com/downloads/mrk.pdf which has the full instructions for modifying page mark information, including both registration marks and the pageinfo section.

Note that the macintosh path where these go is currently /Library/Application Support/Adobe/PrintSpt/, a folder which you will have to create yourself, though that's somehow homitted fom the instructions.

The PDF has a link to a sample mrk/PMD file, which you can modify...

• 2. Re: how to increase Page Information
            ddfpv Level 1

Thank you John.

I'm not very tech-savvy, so I will try and have a tech person help me decifer the instructions. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out for me. If not, I guess I will be getting a magnifying glass! ;-)

• 3. Re: how to increase Page Information
              HeyMikey Level 3

Hi all,

InDesign CS5 (7.0.4), Mac OSX 10.6.8

This sounded like a great option, and I downloaded the .mrk files and put them in the location outlined in the PDF... But when I open a document and go to print it, in the "Marks and Bleed" section of the dialogue, only the Default setting is available. I even tried putting the files in ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/PrintSpt but no-go. They don't seem to show up. I saved the files as plain text through TextEdit, and there are no spaces in the names; the file extension is .mrk

Could the location of this files in InDesign CS5 be different than in CS3? Or maybe CS5 doesn't use .mrk files anymore? If anyone knows, or has tried this in CS5 and it works, let me know.

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 4. Re: how to increase Page Information
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create your own page information and put it on the master page using variables.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/InDesign/5.0/help.html?content=WS94D8FB1D-1281-4a29-8424-5 EEBD8FB420E.html

Check out the items with plus marks - they can be expanded.

• 5. Re: how to increase Page Information
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Not ~/Library. /Library. At the root of your computer's hard drive.

• 6. Re: how to increase Page Information
                    HeyMikey Level 3

Thanks Eugene,

That's a cool option, as well, and very handy. I use variables quite a bit in my documents, but my curiosity was for the "Marks and Bleeds" type, and how to get that info as per the instructions in the PDF from the above link. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same trouble getting the PDM files to appear in InDesign 7.0.4 and if anyone knew where those files might reside.

• 7. Re: how to increase Page Information
                      HeyMikey Level 3

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, that was the initial path I specified ( /Library/Application Support/Adobe/PrintSpt), and when that didn't work, I tried the ~/Library... to see if that worked--neither paths worked.

I didn't alter the files in any way, just saved them as "PageInfo.mrk" and "QXPMarks.mrk" and placed them in the /Library/Application Support/Adobe folder, which incidentally I did have to create the PrintSpt folder.

-Mikey

• 8. Re: how to increase Page Information
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

That's curious. They work fine for me in CS5. I assume you are sure you saved them as plain text, and you did not strip out the leading ///pgmk.v02.00 from the head of the files.

Eugene, page information is much more useful to me than text variables, because I know that when I print laser proofs, the page information will be there, but I never have to worry about disabling it when we go to press. Furthermore, because we print it within the page, rather than outside the page, it's nice to not have it on the screen where it might interfere with visibility (or even design!).

• 9. Re: how to increase Page Information
                          HeyMikey Level 3

Hey John,

When the gremlins hit, they really hit! I did a system restart, and voila, there they were. I guess the restart must've triggered the PrintSpt folder (?) Oh well, they work now, and thanks for helping with this little curiosity.

Cheers!

-Mikey