3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 7:28 AM by John Hawkinson

InDesign hanging while opening file

Daniel Alfafa

Greetings!

I'm on a cut-throat fight with Adobe InDesign CS3 (I know it's a bit outdated, but that's what we have) and, until now, I'm losing it BAD! Every time I open a file inside a user's home folder (Desktop, Documents, etc.), either by double-clicking or by selecting it on File -> Open, InDesign hangs and I have to force quit. When I open the program again, it cames with the previous file already opened, as it where recovering from the crash. When I close the file, it gets listed on the recent files list of the welcome screen and I can open it from there normally!

While I was toying with it, I've found that this doesn't happen when the file was on a network group share. I've also found that it doesn't happen when a local administrator account was used, no matter where the file is. The environment includes networked home folders and this is not the first time I'm setting it this way (did it every semester since mid-2007), but is surely bizarre that it's the first time I've run into this problem. The clients were installed all from the same disk image from the previous semester, just updated via Apple Software Update. The server was rebuild from scratch last month (july) but, except a migration from a Mac Pro to a Xserve, there was nothing new here: I've wrote a contingency plan documenting every step to build the server, and I'm used to follow it.

I've searched high an low on the internet and found only a few complaints with similar symptons, but no answers or solutions. I've searched for bad ACL's on the files, toyed with POSIX permissions, repaired permissions on the disk... Nothing! I hope someone else has dealt with this...

Just in case, my Macs have the following specs:

* 28 iMac (Mid 2007): aluminum, 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD,  20" LCD screen

* 4 eMac (USB 2.0): white, 1.25GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 17" CRT screen

* 1 eMac (2005): white, 1.42GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 17" CRT screen

* 1 Mac Pro: aluminum, 2x dual core 2.6GHz Xeon 5100, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 23" LCD Apple Cinema Display

* 1 Xserve (Late 2006): aluminum, 2x dual core 2.0GHz Xeon 5100, 8GB RAM, 80GB HDD (boot), 750GB HDD (shares), 750GB HDD (time machine)

All these computers are running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on the clients (all updates applied) and Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 (also fully updated) on the Xserve. The Xserve was put to serve only recently, and the Mac Pro was in it's place until june. Everything was OK until now! Surely I can restore everything an put the Mac Pro back as a Server with the same setup as before, but I think this should be only the final solution.

Seriously, guys: I'm almost in panic here! If someone can help with some ideas or such, I'll be really glad! Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S.: sorry if I've misspelled something: english is not my native language.

• 1. Re: InDesign hanging while opening file
          John Hawkinson Level 5

CS3 is not that bad.

To debug a hang, run Activity Monitor and select InDesign. Go to Sample Process. Save the output and upload it to pastebin.com (do not upload it here! the  forum does not deal well with large files). Post a link here. We can  get a pretty good idea of what InDesign is doing when it hangs.

Sometimes  the call graph from sample process refers to symbols that exist in  multiple InDesign modules (like "GetPlugin"). If so, and we need to  distinguish them, it's necessary to force a crash and look at the crash  report (again, upload to pastebin.com). Force a crash in Activity  Monitor with View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT). Upload to pastebin.com as above and post a link here.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign hanging while opening file
            Daniel Alfafa Level 1

At last, a procedure! Thanks, John!

This is the text from the sample:

http://pastebin.com/JFi39WCL

and this is the text from the crash report:

http://pastebin.com/PbMytPzg

I really don't understand the info here, but something got my attention: I've fiddled with the Activity Monitor and changed to Percent of Thread. What caught my attention was Thread_2d03, where a subthread named TerminateConnection wasn't 100%. Is there something inside it or I'm just guessing wrong?

Thanks for the help, John!

• 3. Re: InDesign hanging while opening file
              John Hawkinson Level 5
              I really don't understand the info here, but something got my attention: I've fiddled with the Activity Monitor and changed to Percent of Thread. What caught my attention was Thread_2d03, where a subthread named TerminateConnection wasn't 100%. Is there something inside it or I'm just guessing wrong?

I think that is unrelated -- it just means that thread was waiting for something else...

Anyhow, from your forced crash:

Thread 0 Crashed:
              0   libSystem.B.dylib                  0x940f4306 getattrlist$UNIX2003 + 10
              1   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9125029f PathGetObjectInfo(char const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, VolumeInfo**, unsigned long*, unsigned long*, char*, unsigned long*, unsigned char*) + 183
              2   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9125017d FSPathMakeRefInternal(unsigned char const*, unsigned long, unsigned long, FSRef*, unsigned char*) + 97
              3   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore     0x9125be0f FSPathMakeRef + 47
              4   AdobeAFL                           0x018ccb6e adobe::afl::AFile::PathChanged(adobe::afl::AString const&) + 5860
              5   AdobeAFL                           0x018cda9a adobe::afl::AFile::PathChanged(adobe::afl::AString const&) + 9744
              6   AdobeAFL                           0x018cafb6 adobe::afl::AFile::Exists() const + 40
              7   AdobeAFL                           0x018dd367 adobe::afl::MacFileUtils::SpecInfoToAFile(short, unsigned long, adobe::afl::AString const&, adobe::afl::AFile&, bool) + 989
              8   com.adobe.InDesign.Links           0x233c1eed GetPlugIn + 3333

So, it looks like InDesign is getting information on one of the links in the file, and for some reason that is hanging interminably. Inside the Apple Carbon call FSMakePathRef(), which presumably makes a path reference from a string.

So, umm, why is it hanging? Err, harder to say. Can you open one of the simpler files as Administrator and look at the links? Do the paths look normal?

What if you create a new document as one of the affected users but with no linked images? Does that also fail?

There are some tools we could use to determine what file it is trying to read, but they are not very user-friendly, so I'd prefer to avoid them if we can...