4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2011 4:16 PM by LaciG RSS

Transcode settings in Encore CS5

LaciG Community Member

I have two questions:

1. How can I see my transcode settings (including the 'Quality tab' after all the transcode finished?

2. How do I know that the (Automatic) transcode happened at my best quality settings for a large project (~120 minutes SD) if the 'leftover space' is just a few MB? (I am sure if the remaining space is in the order of GB, then the transcode 'did its best' but in case of a few MB, I don't know.)

Thanks,

Laci.

• 1. Re: Transcode settings in Encore CS5
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Laci,

For the Transcode settings, you can go to the Project Panel, and Rt-click on that Asset, choosing Transcode Settings. Look in the Transcode Settings Column (might have to horizontally expand that Panel to see all of the Columns, or use the scroll bar at the bottom of the Panel. Is that what you are looking for?

I am not sure that I understand the second question. With Automatic, Encore does its best (usually very good) to get you the highest quality based on the Duration and the Disc Space. One could Transcode outside of En, using bit-budgeting, and more advanced settings (depending on the Transcoding software), and output a 100% DVD-compliant MPEG 2, for Import into En as either a Timeline, or as an Asset. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Transcode settings in Encore CS5
            Ann Bens CommunityMVP

If the project is 120 of timeline the DVD will definitely filled.

Make sure you check Use Maximum Render Quality in the Edit Quality Presets (that will be under File)

If you want best quality don't put more then 60-90 minutes on a single DVD.

If your timeline is over 90 minutes make a double layer.

Then you can use a bitrate calculator and get the best settings.

http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php?PHPSESSID=6501b6b2b31f4c4a295bc8c2ba1e6f57

• 3. Re: Transcode settings in Encore CS5
              LaciG Community Member

Bill,

In the Project Panel, under the Transcode Setting header it says "Automatic"

only. When I right click on the asset, the "Transcode Setting" (and

obviously the "Transcode Now" column also) are grayed out. So, I can't

really find out what Quality Setting I used before I did transcode the

assets.

I guess, it make sense since if I use the highest quality setting and I have

a long timeline (120 minutes), then the Automatic Setting will bring down

the quality from my setting anyway so the material can fit on the DVD.

My second question was basically answered by Ann Bens: a 120 minute timeline

is too long for the highest quality setting on a 4.7 GB DVD. I just hoped to

be able to save some time since I am still working on the 38 analog tapes

(most of it just 90 minutes, but quite a few is 120 minutes) and after

editing, I want to archive them on the Taiyo Yuden 4.7 GB DVD. So, my best

option is to make 2 60 minute long project from each tape.

Good thing, I am retired :-)!

Thank you and Ann very much for your help. (By the time I start editing my

HD home movies, I will have learnt quite a lot from all these helps!)

Thanks,

Laci.

P.S. After reading again your answer and Ann's answer, I realized that my question was clumsily composed - I apologize for it. - Laci.

• 4. Re: Transcode settings in Encore CS5
                LaciG Community Member

Ann, I found the "Edit Quality Setting" under "File". Thanks!