2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 10:27 AM by phyllisj9

Setting alt text for tagged PDFs

phyllisj9 Level 2

Okay, so I'm learning a little bit about accessible PDFs today.  The whole topic of accessibility is interesting to me.  I tried making an accessible PDF and using Acrobat's accessibility check to test it.  I keep getting "No Alternate Text" errors.  I finally created a PDF of a document containing one and only one image.  I set both Alt and Actual Text on this image in the "Object Export Options" dialog box.  I try the accessibility check in Acrobat, and I get the same error.   I look at the Tags in Acrobat and they show the alternate text.  Is this a known bug in Acrobat?  Does that error always show up?

I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro.  I have the CS 5.5 suite, but my computer refuses to install Acrobat X (I'm going to ask the I.T. department to try again on figuring out why it won't install, but so far they don't know).

Thanks, Phyllis

• 1. Re: Setting alt text for tagged PDFs
          John Hawkinson Level 5
          I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro.  I have the CS 5.5 suite, but my computer refuses to install Acrobat X (I'm going to ask the I.T. department to try again on figuring out why it won't install, but so far they don't know).

It knows you won't like it.

Sorry, this is tongue-in-cheek and unfair, and I realize completely unhelpful, but when you finally get Acrobat X installed, and use it for a few minutes, you'll understand what I mean.

• 2. Re: Setting alt text for tagged PDFs
            phyllisj9 Level 2

Hey!  Interesting -- what's bad about Acrobat X?  I have it at home but haven't really played around with it much.  Dunno why it won't install here.

Any ideas on the alt text thing?  I don't have any pressing need to make accessible PDFs.  But I'm interested in the idea.  Since I'm working on all kinds of conversions anyway.

Thanks, Phyllis