7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2011 6:15 PM by Frédéric Segard

RAM & graphics card advice

Jason Britski Level 1

Was hoping to get some advice re: RAM & a graphics card upgrade for my macpro.

I have been using Premiere pro CS 5.5 & FCP 7.0.3 on my macpro for a little while with no issues

(along with the other apps in the suites: AE, PS, compressor, DVDSP, etc).

For the CUDA acceleration the Adobe site recommends that I ugrade to one of these cards:

GeForce GTX 285 for Mac

Quadro FX 4800 for Mac

Quadro 4000 for Mac

I also just received a copy of Avid Media Composer 5.5 & have been waiting to install it based on Avid approving stability for OS 10.6.8 + not sure how the matrox card is working for them yet either.

Would anyone recommend one of these above cards specifically for use with all 3 applications?

Was also looking at putting in 24 GB of RAM as well. Assume I can always use more, but how much?

Is there anybody running a similar setup as this on OS 10.6.8?

I know there are a number of editors on here that may use all 3 apps (FCP, PP, & Avid), but I am not sure if they run on the same computer without issues, or what the setup may be.

From what I have read online it looks like there are lots of issues with the 4000, but it is hard to tell if that is reliable info as some of the posters have found out they had bad RAM, or it was some other problem they introduced.

Mostly i see that they recommend the GTX 285 card if I can find one, but I am unsure which way to go. Any suggestions?

MacPro Specs are:

Mac OS 10.6.8

MacPro4,1

Processor - 2 X 2.26 GHz Quad core Intel Xeon (8 cores)

memory - 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 (512MB VRAM)

also have a matrox mini card installed

under system profiler - memory it says:

Type is DDR3 ECC, speed 1066 MHz

THANKS!