10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 12:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Split Screen?

nhlpat21 Level 1

I have two different angles of the same action and I would like to know how i would do this:

Untitled-1.jpg

PRE9

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Split Screen?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on how you plan to fit them both onscreen.

Will you crop each clip so that only the top or bottom half of each frame shows?

Or do you plan to reshape each clip so that it's stretched wide?

Or do you just want both clips to be onscreen at the same time -- not necessarily filling the screen?

• 2. Re: Split Screen?
            nhlpat21 Level 1

I'll go with option 3

• 3. Re: Split Screen?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That would constitute a PiP - Picture in Picture.

You will probably want a combination of several Effects, two are Fixed Effects, in that they are automatically applied to each Clip, and then the Crop Effect.

Place one Clip onto Video Track 1, and the other onto Video Track 2.This is in Timeline, and not Sceneline View Mode.

At first, your Clip on Video Track 2 will cover the Clip on Video Track 1, but we will fix that, in a moment. Go to the Clip in Video Track 2, and Select it. Go to the Effects Tab, and then click on the Edit Effects button. This brings up all Effects applied to that Clip. At this point, they should be only the Fixed Effects, Motion, Opacity, Rotation, and maybe Volume, if you have Audio. We want Motion. Twirl that open, with the little triangle next to it's name. This will reveal the Motion>Scale and Motion>Position controls. Use those to Scale that Clip, and then Position it, where you want. Note: the Project's Frame Size will effectively "crop" any pixels, that go beyond it. When you have it, like you want it, go back to the Effects Tab, and add the Crop Effect. Adjust it to Crop the bottom of that Clip, as is necessary.

Go to the Clip on Video 1, Select it, and go to the Effects Tab, clicking on Edit Effects. Perform the same operations, but you should not need to apply the Crop Effect, as the Cropped Clip on Video 2 will effectively crop the top of the Clip on Video 1.

When doing PiP work, I find it very useful to use alignment grids, or guidelines. This ARTICLE will tell you more about creating those, and using them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Split Screen?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at two Clips, being used as you describe. It is from PrE 4.0, but everything in your version should be the same.

The Clip in Video Track 2 (the landing airplane) is Selected, and by hitting Edit Effects, the Effects Control Panel can be seen. You see Motion (the Fixed Effect) twirled open, plus the other Fixed Effects, and also, Crop Effect has been added, and adjusted to Crop the bottom of that Clip. The Clip on Video Track 2 has been Scaled slightly, and its Position changed slightly to see the buttes in Monument Valley. We do not see its Effects Control Panel, as the upper Clip is selected.

Is this what you want?

PiP_Horizontal.png

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Split Screen?
                  nhlpat21 Level 1

Exactly! I tried and it is a bit distorted, but I'll keep practicing.

Thanks!

This is what i have currently:

Screen shot 2011-08-10 at 11.37.47 PM.png

• 6. Re: Split Screen?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, it's going to look distorted because you chose option #3!

Maybe you want to use option #1 -- cropping your two videos so that they each take up half of your screen.

• 7. Re: Split Screen?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The subject matter will, well matter. In my example, I chose two very horizontal Clips, with plenty of foreground and sky, so that when I went to an extreme horizontal, I still had my subjects in the Frame.

As a Video Frame is horizontal to start, if you place Clip 1 at the top, or bottom, and Clip 2 in the other half of the Frame, creating even more of a horizontal, many Clips will not do well, due to the framing in camera. For those subjects, rather than splitting the horizontal into even greater horizontals, I would think about doing the split vertically, so that the Clips are side-by-side, rather than one above the other. Again, the procedure would be the same, with Position and Crop altered to accommodate. I let the subjects dictate the layout of the Frame, or I shoot to accommodate the extreme horizontals.

Good luck, and hope that you can find the right aesthetic combination of Cropping and placement.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Split Screen?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, one variation, that might get you about the same result, but allow you to show a bit more top & bottom of your Clips would be to do an abstract background, over which you place your two Clips (pretty much as you have done, but without them filling the width of the Frame. I use this technique, when using vertical (portrait orientation) stills, in a Video SlideShow. This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background, and some artistic treatments, that might be useful. Though I show one treatment, you will only be limited by your imagination. I find such a treatment to be preferable to having black borders on the sides, i.e. Pillarboxinb.

Just something to think about, and good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Split Screen?
                          nhlpat21 Level 1

So I messed with the crop and scale settings and came up with this:

Screen shot 2011-08-11 at 1.41.38 PM.png

Unless people say they can't tell whats going on, I am fine with this.

Thanks to both of you!

• 10. Re: Split Screen?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and glad that you found an arrangement, that works well for you!

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt