16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2011 8:55 PM by DMHP

Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?

Video from my Nikon D5100 DSLR at 1920x1060, 30 fps, plays back with a stutter in premiere, but not elsewhere (Quicktime and Windows Media Player) I've made sure to upgrade to the latest version of Premiere Pro and the problem persists. Searches on here haven't led to much; this thread from May mentions the same problem from a Nikon D7000 (predecessor at 24fps) and says a temporary fix is to rename .mov files to .mpg. This didn't fix the issue.

Any ideas, or do any other users of the D5100 have the same issue?

• 2. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
          Level 1

I saw that work around on another thread, as I referenced in my original post. I have not been able to get it to work; playback is still choppy.

• 3. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Choppy simply means that your computer is not fast enough. Whether that is lacking hardware or an ill-configured system or a polluted system is not really relevant for the observation that the system is just too slow. EOS.

If you want to know what can be done about that, give details.

• 4. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
              Level 1

Sorry for not posting my setup originally. I'm going to be a bit dissapointed if it isn't suitable, considering I built it only 6 months ago.

Computer:

Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.07 GHz

8 gig of RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 470

Windows 7

Premiere CS 5.5

It just occured to me to update my video card drivers, if that changes matters I will report back.

• 5. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Basically there is nothing wrong with that setup, apart from the memory. If your CPU is a i7-950 (assumed because of the clock speed), then you are running the memory in dual channel mode, where it is better to run in triple channel mode. Increasing memory to 12 GB or even to 24 GB can give you significant performance gains and may avoid the choppyness. Updating your video drivers to 280.26 is a good (free) idea.

Sorely lacking is your disk setup, which often leads to problems like you describe.

• 6. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                  Level 1

I have two Western Digital 720 GB hard drives, though one isn't currently recogized by the computer. So... one 720 GB hard drive. Does that make a difference?

Updating the drivers of the GeForce 470 didn't resolve the issue. I will consider getting more memory. Is there a reason you skip from 12 to 24 GB? As I ask because if I am to get more of what I already have, I would get 8 GB for a total of 16 GB. But is there no difference between 12 and 16?

• 7. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The X58 platform uses triple channel memory architecture with up to 6 memory slots, so the best solution is to use only multiples of three DIMM's.

You currently have either 2 x 4GB of 4 x 2 GB DIMM's. Going from 8 to 12 GB will show a nice performance gain, but be aware that all three 4 GB DIMM's need to be matched, so if you can't find the exact same brand/model/series of sticks, you will need to replace the existing sticks with three new ones.

Only two HDD's, one of which is not recognized is almost surely the cause of your problems. Using a complex codec with only one disk is inviting disaster to strike. Even with three recognized and functional HDD's, it may be overtaxing your system unless you have diligently tuned your system, removed MSN, FAX, Sidebar, Games, and the like, disabled indexing and compression on all your disks, anti-whatever software and the rest of the crap usually found on a lot of systems.

• 8. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                      Level 1

Harm, thanks for the serious effort you are putting towards this problem.

After some work, I've changed my computers configuration for better performace. I now have 3 Drives - dual 720 gb Western Digital drives, and a single 260 GB western digital drive. My copy of windows 7 is OEM, so it doesn't have the baggage of trial programs, etc. Very little is installed on this system, and normal display graphics have been put to basic. I have not disabled search indexing.

Based on these settings I've tried again, and still no luck - the playback is choppy.

A friend has noted the curiosity that this footage (any and all D5100 video, some 50+ clips) plays back fine even in Windows Media player. Based on that he doesn't think it is a performance issue.

Does anyone think it might be helpful to convert video to a more premiere suited format before I import it? I have the Adobe production premium suite, is there another program within it to do such conversion?

• 9. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                        Level 1

I've made some progress. This should have been tried before, but I only just thought of it - if I render clips on the timeline, their playback in the program monitor is almost entirely smooth. This doesn't solve the footage being incredibly choppy in the source monitor. Also, if I export a file as big - 1920x1080 - playback in quicktime or windows media player of the .mov file (using h.264 encoding again) is almost entirely smooth. If I export with the same settings, but a smaller size - like 720x 4xx - playback is compeltely smooth.

• 10. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Tmon89,

If you have not tried adjusting your "playback resolution" setting (right-click to access this in playback window) yet to try and resolve your issue, try that. This setting is provided so that if you do not have enough hardware power for the layers of media that you have on your timeline, you can request for less to be displayed. Note too, I have seen an instance where "full" playback resolution actually worked better than 1/2 resolution. Can't explain it, but that's why I said "try changing it" instead of simply "lower it"!

Jim

• 11. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                            DMHP Level 1

It really is time that this issue was fixed. Many Nikon users have the same problem with poor playback, and many of us came to Premiere because of the promise of native playback of DSLR footage. Nikon D7000 footage plays back fine in Premiere Pro 5.0, and I am pretty much stuck on 5.0 even though I paid for the 5.5 upgrade, which has broken Nikon playback. Please don't tell me I am going to have to pay for 6.0 (probably next year) before this is fixed. There are still people chasing their tails on this issue, thinking something is wrong with their systems. Changing extensions is not an answer. That "fix" has caused other problems within CS 5.5 and other of my programs. Something was broken between 5.0 and 5.5, and it is high time the resources were devoted to fixing the problem. What gives?

• 12. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                              DMHP Level 1

BTW, this questions is not "Answered", not even "Possibly Answered"

• 13. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Please don't tell me I am going to have to pay for 6.0 (probably next year) before this is fixed.

No.  Adobe has already said they're aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

Changing extensions is not an answer. That "fix" has caused other problems within CS 5.5 and other of my programs.

Like what?  Changing extensions has worked flawlessly for me.  It even allowed me to uninstall QuickTime and things still work.

• 14. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                                  DMHP Level 1

If you are on a PC, that might be true. But for the many people looking to move to Premiere from Final Cut Pro, it most definitely isnt. Final Cut, Media 100 Suite, and numerous other software on the Mac is Quicktime based. Seamless interoperability with Quicktime is essential. I have tried reimporting files that were renamed from .mov to .mpg and had problems with not all files reimporting properly, and audio being separate from some of the video. Some would not reimport to 5.5 at all. I only tried this a few times, but really did not want to keep fooling with it. Files would also not reopen in some other Mac based video programs without being renamed to .mov, very confusing.  So anything I have to do with the Nikon .mov's I do with Premiere 5.0 for review and edit (not 5.5), or after review, take selects into FCP 7 or Media 100 Suite as Quicktime ProRes for edit. Would love not to have to jump through these hoops, as one of the major selling points of Premiere is no conversion editing of DSLR foootage. This is not a new problem and has been known about for months. Just would like an update and reassurance that this is not something for which I'm going to have to make a third purchase to get fixed. Would really like to feel more confident about the switch to Premiere. Definitely not moving to Windows.

• 15. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Just would like an update and reassurance...

Stay tuned. We'll announce fixes on this forum (and a lot of other places) when they're available.

• 16. Re: Stuttering playback from Nikon D5100 on Pro CS5 - 5.5?
                                      DMHP Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Todd. Looking forward to it. Really enjoy working in Premiere.