3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 4:16 PM by Szalam

Importing Compositions

Shane P Level 3

Hello,

I am not that frequent of an AE user as I spend most of my time in PP. When working in PP, if I have a sequence in another project file I want to import, I can simply go to import, then select the sequence and the sequence and related assets are pulled into the current project file.

Is there no way to do this in AE with compositions? I have a big AE project file that I just did a lot of work doing titles and lower thirds and I want to reuse them in another project. I don't want to duplicate all of the work again, just simply change the text where necessary.

Is there any way to import an AE comp with its comp specific assets from one AE proj file into another? I tried copy/paste and wasn't able to do that either.

Thank you in advance,

Shane

• 1. Re: Importing Compositions
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can import a project into another project---but that imports the whole thing. If you wanted to just import a couple of things then you could either import the whole project and delete what you don't want (which might be a pain) or you could reduce the other project to the compositions that you want and then import that reduced project.

• 2. Re: Importing Compositions
            Shane P Level 3

Todd,

Thank you for the response. Something weird was happening and I didn't realize it when I was getting the error message. When I had the AE comp open that I wanted to import the comp/project file into I was receiving a weird error. AE didn't recognize the project file I was trying to import. It had a long audio type of extension on it after the .aep. I simply opened the project file in question and did a "save as" and then I was able to successfully import it into the other project file like I had originally intended.

It was weird becasue I was scratching my head because I recall doing it alot in CS4. Anyway my issue is resolved and thank you for the link, great video.

AE also had a problem recognizing a standard WAV file exported from AU. I was able to import into PP fine and WIN MediaPlayer played it fine as well. AE was recognizing it as a PEK file. Very weird. I had to export the file from AU again and it imported it fine.

Attached is a screen cap of the error that was being thrown. In the top left of the import dialog box you can see my AE proj file I was trying to import. If you notice the name of my comp is "Video Assets" and AE was recognizing it as "Video Assets 1.aep blah blah.

aescrncap.jpg

AE 5.5 / MC 5.5

Operating System
                MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
            CPU
                Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700  @ 2.66GHz    42 °C
                Kentsfield 65nm Technology
            RAM
                8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
            Motherboard
                ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL PRO (LGA775)    35 °C
            Graphics
                HP w2408 (1920x1200@60Hz)
                512MB GeForce 9400 GT (MSI)    43 °C
            Hard Drives
                488GB Western Digital WDC ATA Device (SATA)    37 °C
            Optical Drives
                WD Virtual CD 1110 USB Device
                ATAPI iHAS120   6 ATA Device
            Audio
                Realtek High Definition Audio

• 3. Re: Importing Compositions
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It appears to be attempting to import Video Assets 1.aep 48000.cfa (which is a preview file generated by Premiere) rather than Video Assets.aep.