3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 6:48 AM by the_wine_snob

VOB music Burps

bjlf

I have .vobs files on dvd. I have been bringing them into Premiere Elements 9 to basically get rid of the terrible still photos and keep the music, (the makers - old friends of mine were musicians and great at audio - terrible at visual). So, I just unlink the files then throw away the "video" and save the muisc to .mp3. Not as good sound as on the DVD but very decent.

Premiere tends to split a song into 2 or more sections. These are not split on the DVD. I did turn off every "auto" thing I could find in preferences. But, they still get split up. In about 50% of the cases, it's no big deal - the two sections will match up nicely and there is no "burp." With other sections - no matter what I have tried there is a "burp" or where the music stops silent for a second before going onto the next section. This "burp" is not on the dvd.

I have, of course, made sure the two sections line up very closely with each other. I tried grouping and that seemed to not help. I noticed yellow lines while the song files were on the audio track so matched them up very closely before moving the files down to the sound track. The "burp" seems to be when a straight edge section is up against a rounded corner section, (the section that is like a rounded rectangle at one end), and so I tried trimming off the round edge - but it comes back. And, I tried trimming off a bit of the straight edge - that doesn't help. For some reason on some of these songs that little silent section won't go away.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: VOB music Burps
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For more detail on VOB's, see this ARTICLE, plus Colin's method of ripping at the end.

One problem with VOB's is that they can be spanned, with the MPEG 2's inside. That is probably where you are running into problems, the spanning of VOB's, that can only be ~ 1 GB in size.

Were I in your position, I would handle things in a different workflow, but then I have the equipment on hand. I would load the DVD into my VHS/DVD player, hooked to my Canopus 300 via FireWire, and just hit Play while doing a Capture. I would choose PCM/WAV (not MP3 which will recompress a compressed, most likely, Audio format). Then, I would rip the Audio from the DV-AVI file, and use that. One could do the same with a DVD player and a miniDV tape camera, with both pass-through capabilities, and also a FW connection.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VOB music Burps
            bjlf Level 1

Thank you very much, (and also for the answers you’ve provided to others, as well. Read quite a few and they have been great help).

• 3. Re: VOB music Burps
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. We all try very hard to solve everybody's problems.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt