9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 6:52 AM by JEShort01

Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB

Frédéric Segard Level 2

I'm presently having final discussions with my system integrator about which disks to use with the Areca. My original choice of drives was the Deskstar 7K3000 1.5TB drives. But my system integrator is keen on telling me to stick with approved disks. Preferably enterprise drives! Unfortunately, most of the disks in the list are outdated. Granted, Areca can't test all drives, and I wrongly presumed drive categories could be implicitly approved. Like all WD RE4 disks, or all Seagate Constellation ESdrives, or all Ultrastars, etc. But it does not appear to be so according to the list. The Ultrastar 2TB 7K2000 drive is in there at $220, and the Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB at $350. At these prices, it can get pretty expensive with a 10 drive setup. This is why the Deskstar 7K3000 1.5TB looks like a good bargain at $65. It's less cost prohibitive to get 10 of them. But I want to make sure the drives I get, play nice with the Areca card, and can handle the stress. Anyone actually tested them on the 1880 series cards?

If I am to spend above $120 per drive for enterprise class drives, I'm concerned that the few RE4 and Constellation drives that are on the list, have not passed all tests. If I am going the enterprise route, I was thinking to maybe get SAS2 6Gbps drives instead of SATA2 3Gbps; The price differential not being that great. The Seagate Constellation ES 500GB at $125, or the 1TB at $150, looks nice. But will I see a notable improvement over SATA2 of the same class drives. I'm sticking to 7200RPM drives models, for noise and heat issues.

And if I'm going to spend around $200 per drive, future expansion in mind, I was thinking of getting Constellation.2 500GB 2.5" SAS drives at $185. This way, I could pack more drives into a case with 2x 2.5" in one 3.5" cages. I could therefore eventually get an fully loaded card with 16 drives, giving me great capacity at even greater speeds. Just thinking ahead here.

But obviously, I'd prefer spending less for a reliable drive.

Harm, I know you recommend them, so I presume you, or know of people that tested the Deskstar 7K3000 series on Areca cards?

• 1. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
          JEShort01 Level 4

Stick with your original plan and save some money for better use!

7k3000 and many other non-enterprise drives are working great for many users on this forum as well as the Terrabyte server enthusiest sites where some users are using in excess of 24 drives and up. The latest RAID 5 array that I have built uses 7k3000 drives and has been flawless for at least a few months now.

If you get really paranoid, still go with non-enterprise and configure your planned 10-drive array as RAID 6 (then even two drives can fail without any data loss whatsoever).

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Frederic,

I have not test many drives on my Areca.  My favorite current configuration is an eight drive 2.5-inch array in this Supermicro Mobile Rack  In a two half-height profile it really is compact.  They also offer a 4 drive format in a single half-height package. I happen to have the Seagate ST9146853SS 15,000 rpm 6 Gb/s SAS drives,  I took a big risk (the only way I could afford eight of these drives) and bought used Dell "pulls".  I also anticipated potential problems and bought extra drives.  I did have one drive that did not allow the array to function fully but by process of elimination I was able to isolate it and replace it.  I am currently exploring other 2.5-inch configurations because of the compactness with lots of drives.  I did also configure 8 and 12 1TB Seagate 7200.12 drives and found the same problem which was easily rectified with the same process of elimination.  Do this testing in RAID 0 as there is no setup time involved and after you are satisfied configure your prefered RAID level.  Later I found out they have had several firmware updates to these very commercial drives

• 3. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
              Frédéric Segard Level 2

That's good to know that many have used the Deskstar 7K3000 on the Areca successfuly. Perhaps to maintain speed and a certain level of extra security, I could simply configure it RAID3 with a hot spare instead of the slower RAID6. The likelyhood of 2 drives failing at the same time is highly unlikely. I think an auto rebuild with a hotspare will have ample time to be back on it's feet before another drive fails. But then again. I backup regularly.

I will stress test the drives at RAID0 before final RAID3 config.  At $65 a drive, it would be no problem to get 14 drives in my case. (Lian-Li's PC-V2120 with a EX-36B1 drive cage). At that price, the money I save will surely be better put elsewhere!

Thanks!

PS: Out of curiosity, is there a big difference in speed between SATA and SAS drives of the same class (like the Constellation series)?

• 4. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
                Islanders66 Level 1

Just wondering. Are you still planning to go with the Anec 920? I thought I might mention a few basic observations because I did intall it with the LianLi A77.

First, the fans on the Antec didn't move much air out the single exhaust out the back. The A77F does have two fans on top so plenty of air out the top.

Thought I would mention this because it appears that some other exhaust fan would be needed to move the air and I can't tell the fan set up with the varous Lian Li cases if there is more than one exhaust fan.

I can hear the fans from the case but that's about it. There was some minor clicking on the first day with the Antec that was probably air in the pump but has been very quiet sense then. The fan control doesnn't seem to work on the A77F but I don't mind the fan noise and I'll probably install another fan controler if there is no way to fix the fan control switch.

There was a fan error I had to sort out on the MB but you probably have all this covered and just wanted to mention it incase it might be helpful on your order with th fan options.

• 5. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Frederic,

Stress testing a large RAID 0 may not necessarily flush out a "weaker" drive; I would advise using a read/write utility like HD Tune Pro (test w/ 2MB file size setting) to test each drive prior to your initial RAID 0 testing.

Good luck!

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
                    Frédéric Segard Level 2

Islanders66 wrote:

Just wondering. Are you still planning to go with the Anec 920? I thought I might mention a few basic observations because I did intall it with the LianLi A77.

No, I have not ordered it yet. I'm placing the actual order next week. My systems integrator was on vacation for 2 weeks, so it postponed my order. I'm hashing out details with him this week. He swears by that model, and has worked a lot with it. Having personally never delt with water cooling, I have to rely on his expertise.

I have no idea how your setup is, but I would guess that if it's not moving a lot of heat out from the radiator, it's because it's probably not heating much? Or not installed properly to the CPU? Is it securely fastened to the CPU and used proper thermal paste? If I recall, you are not overclocking, right? But just to be safe, I'd probably have it checked.

• 7. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
                      Islanders66 Level 1

It wroks great. The software lets you control the unit and provides temp of the cooling. I was just pointing out that the fans that push the air through the radiator are designed more for moving air through the restricted air space and don't move as much air volume from the case it's self. Thus the two fans on top of the A77F exhaust most of the air from the case as opposed to the one rear fan ehaust where the Antec is now installed. I'm asuming that if a case had only one exhaust fan on the back there may not be enough air flow, and the fan configuration might be something to consider with your choice of case, (I'm not famaliar with the case you mentioned) and might be good to have a return option if this might be an issue.

You proabably have all this covered but thought I would mention it if it might be useful.

Edit: In no rush for me to overclock or add the Raid as I've hit my budget limit for now. I oredered the Antec because it was only $20 more than the air cooler I had picked out, takes the weight off the MB, has more features, easy to install, and so far perfectly quiet. There are probably many air coolers that would have been fine for me, but being my first build my choices were more limited to what other people are using.

• 8. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim there is one big problem that is not flushed out with testing single drives and that is the time-out error problem.  All my drives did pass the single drive testing and are now being used elsewhere as very fine single drives.

• 9. Re: Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 on Areca 1880ix-16/4GB
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Bill,

Maybe you didn't catch that I said to test drives individually "prior to RAID 0" testing.

It sounds like you have personally had some "dropout" issues prior to your SAS array; fortunately, I have not - knock on wood!

Regards,

Jim