11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2011 1:48 PM by Zoop studio

New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5

crammond999 Level 1

I'm in process of building a new PC.

I just started working with After Effects and Premiere Pro and my current PC is not really up to all the 1080 footage...

I currently own a E8400 with 8GB DDR2 Ram and some cheap motherboard (Intel DQ35JO) for reference.

I already own 2 x Samsung HD103SJ "Spinpoint" F3 1TB HDDs and a XFX 6850 Black Edition 1Gb which I plan to keep.

I have 2 options:

1)

Intel i5-2500K

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3

G.Skill F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL Quad Kit 16GB (4x4GB) PC10600 DDR3

OCZ Vertex2 E 90GB 25/S300 SSD for system files (windows, program files, etc...)

I can get this for about 570 EUR / 820 USD

2)

Intel i7-980X ot i7-980 (is there a big difference between them performance wise?)

Gigabyte G1 Guerilla

3 x G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDRS (for a total of 24GB or RAM)

OCZ Vertex3 120GB 25/S600 for system files (windows, program files, etc..)

I can get this for:

- with i7 980 -    1145 EUR / 1645 USD

- with i7 980X -  1485 EUR /  2133 USD

Will the 2nd option make that much of a difference in AE and Premiere Pro that is worth 2x-3x more money?

Thanks for opinions

• 1. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Option 1 is not really an option. A quad core without hyper-threading. The 980 is a much better choice since it is a hexa core CPU with hyper-threading. The X version is unlocked, making overclocking a lot easier and overclocking can make a huge difference in performance. See PPBM5 Benchmark

You really want a nVidia GTX 560+ video card to benefit from hardware MPE, which improves rendering by a factor 10 or more over an ATI card.

You can save a lot of money by skipping the OCZ Vertex SSD and getting a 320 GB Samsung F4 as a boot disk without a performance hit.

If you go to the Overview tab at the top of the forum, you can select from a number of articles that may be interesting to you.

• 2. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
            Islanders66 Level 1

The other option would be the 970 or 980  that is half the cost of the 980x but more limited with overclockig.

• 3. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
              crammond999 Level 1

Thanks for a fast reply.

Ok, let's say skip the overclocking for now (I used to overclock a ton back when it was Celeron 600 and similar CPU time , but I'm tottaly out of it now...not really on track with the overclocking of new CPUs...it used to be simple back in the days)

I'm ditching the 2500k option.

If I'm not overclocking, I could get a rather cheap motherboard

Asus Sabertooth X58

Intel i7 970/980/980X

16-24GB ram

GTX570

Combination of this is between 1150-1550 EUR / 1600-2250 USD depending on different choices.

Considering I'm not willing to overclock, is there to expect THAT much of a difference with 980X and 24GB ram against 970/980 (they're priced the same) with 16GB ram (considering it is 30% difference in price...will it be 30% faster in AE and Premiere Pro?)

I suppose this is my last question, don't want to bother you too much

• 4. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                JEShort01 Level 4

If your are not into OC'ing, you would probably be best served by going back to your option 1 and:

1) Upgrading to i7-2600k CPU

2) Dump the SSD and go with 5 hard drives (1 Boot + 2 2x1TB 7200rpm RAID 0 arrays)

3) GTX 570 is a good choice, but suggest getting one with 2 or 3 fans (vs. the reference design single NOISY design)

Jim

• 5. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                  crammond999 Level 1

Thanks for your answer.

I googled some more and after seeing this: http://www.behardware.com/articles/815-19/intel-core-i7-and-core-i5-lga-1155-sandy-bridge. html

I'm starting to agree with you that it may be the best choice to go with the 2600K which is about 50% less than 970/980.

Why dumping the SSD? From what I read it is superfast.... So why not SSD for boot + 2x2 1TB 7200rpm RADI 0 arrays)

I'll look for a 570 with more fans, thanks

One more question...what kind of PSU should handle all of this? 650w enough? more?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Get the Pro version of eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

Enter all components, put CPU load at 100% and capacitor aging at 30%, then add 10 - 15% for safety and you have the power needed.

• 7. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                      RjL190365 Level 4

The biggest reason for "dumping the SSD" is that it makes absolutely no performance difference whatsoever over a conventional hard drive inside of your video editing program. The program might launch a few seconds faster on an SSD than on a hard drive - but the few seconds worth of savings does not come anywhere close to making up for the substantially higher cost per GB.

In other words, in terms of total video editing/rendering/encoding performance, SSDs are currently a big waste of money.

• 8. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding the P/S, 720 or 850 watts should be fine, but for a video editing rig is must be a really solid power supply, and by a good brand. If it costs between $150 and $200 it is definitely a good one; if it is less than $100, watch out!

SSDs are really great boot drives, I love mine. However, for a video editing rig they should only be considered if your budget has already provided at least $1500 work of components. And, as already pointed out, they do not really help with video editing. They provide lighting fast small file reads, but comparitively weak large file writes when compared with 7200rpm drives and arrays.

Jim

• 9. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                          crammond999 Level 1

So finally the computer is here but I am having problems with the raid 0 stuff...

I took the Sabertooth p67 motherboard and I can't seem to set up any Raid stuff (I'm doing this for the first time)

The specifications are here:

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/#specifications

Is it possible that I cannot do this on this motherboard? If that is the problem, I will swap for another motherboard (any suggestions for a 2600K?)

Other question - making the Raid 0 - will the performance of Premiere Pro be that much better/faster?

• 10. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to setup your raid in the BIOS when booting.

• 11. Re: New pc for AE and Premiere Pro CS5
                              Zoop studio Level 1

If you go the 2600K route with a Asus P8Z68 Vpro OC-ing is very easy (see Asus site) and you have plenty of sata connections for a multi disk setup.

So, for exaple: 1 disk OS and PrePro/ AE, 4 large disk (Samsung F4/F3 7200 rpm's or Hitachi 7K3000 series) in raid 10 (no burden for your cpu, raid 3 or 5 is heavy on cpu)  for footage.

2 small (Samsung F3 320 or 500) in raid 0 (also no burden for the cpu) for preview/scratch