2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 6:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Animated gifs as overlays?

sellio

I have converted an animated gif into an avi format so I could use it in a little home movie I am making. I've managed to videomerge it onto the original movie but I have three problems.

Firstly, how can I crop the image so that the black borders do not show and

secondly, how can I loop the animation so it lasts longer over my movie and

thirdly, is there any way I can apply motion to the gif, e.g. travel from right to left or bottom to top?

I've used Roxio Videowave before and am very new to photoshop.

Please help.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Animated gifs as overlays?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you want your gif to be transparent, you can't convert it to an AVI. You need to keep it as a transparent gif.

Unfortunately, that means that it can't be animated. At least not in Premiere Elements. So that's the trade.

Adding motion across your video frame is as simple as adding Motion keyframes. I take you step by step through the process of creating motion keyframes in my books.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

I also cover it in my article "Basic Keyframing" at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. (Download the free PDF version.)

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=basic+keyframing&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

• 2. Re: Animated gifs as overlays?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

To help you a bit better, can you attach your GIF to a Reply via the little "camera" icon on the editing screen. Seeing exactly what you have, might lead to some other ideas.

The GIF format allows for Transparency, and so will TGA, PNG Sequences, plus FLV. The one problem with FLV is that PrE cannot Export/Share that format with Transparency, but other video editing programs, and Flash editing programs can. There might be other conversions, that will work better for you, but seeing what you have, might rule out some of those.

Good luck,

Hunt