3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 3:59 AM by Nikolova87

InDesign bookmarks

Nikolova87

Hi all!

I have a bit of a predicament with InDesign CS5 and interactive pdf documents. I do not know if someone has written about that, so sorry if that is the case and I havent seen it.  So, I am helping an acquaintance of mine with creating a book in InDesign. I have generated of course a TOC and marked the option to create bookmarks. Then I have exported the book to interactive pdf. And here is the problem. When I click on a bookmark or on something from the TOC I recieve an error message: "The specified file xxx.pdf does not exist." So the action of the bookmark is to send me to external file and all I want is to be send to a page in the document.

So, if anyone knows a way to fix this through InDesign or Acrobat Reader, so I do not have to change every bookmark manualy, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: InDesign bookmarks
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you say book, do you mean Book in the InDesign sense of a collection of individual documents collected together using the Book feature, or a single long document organized as chapters or similar?

If the former, I believe there is a bug and bookmarks after the first document do not work, which is perhaps what you are seeing. The only workaround I'm aware of is to fix them in Acrobat Pro, not Reader.

• 2. Re: InDesign bookmarks
            Nikolova87 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. Sorry for bothering everyone. I found where I am wrong. I simply exported the Book (yes it is a collection of individual documents collected together using the Book feature) as pdf Print and everything is fine.

Thank you again for taking your time. Regards!

• 3. Re: InDesign bookmarks
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That may work for you (I'm pretty sure the problem I remember is limited to PDF (interactive) exports), but there are some new twists to export for print and support for interactivity, notably buttons don't work, and there may be others as well -- I'm a print guy and don't deal much with interactive content -- so make sure the PDF does all the things you expect.