6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 9:59 AM by Kevin-Monahan

Moving Around the Timeline

OstiaAlex Level 1

Hi,

Just a quick question about moving around the timeline. I'm using the up and down arrow keys to jump between cuts, but for some reason I can jump back beween cuts, but when clips are stepped up it doesn't seem to let me jump forward to the next edit.(I'm on the FCP keyboard config)

Also, to jump forward the begining, or back to the end I'm supposed to use the home/end key. does anyone know what this is on a MacBook Pro keyboard?

Thx

• 1. Re: Moving Around the Timeline
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          I'm using the up and down arrow keys to jump between cuts, but for some reason I can jump back beween cuts, but when clips are stepped up it doesn't seem to let me jump forward to the next edit.

I assume you're referring to when you have more than one track with clips on them. In that case, you need to be mindful of which tracks are targeted; that controls which tracks are subject to the Next/Previous Edit commands.

For example:

targeting.png

Any track that isn't targeted will be ignored by the Next/Previous Edit commands. Just click the header "button" to enable or disable a track. Track targeting affects many other operations in Premiere Pro--for example, adding edits or applying transitions. Check out this Help document page for some more info: Targeting tracks

Not sure about the MBP keyboard question, but a Google search for such turned up this: Home and End Keys on the Macbook Pro

• 2. Re: Moving Around the Timeline
            OstiaAlex Level 1

All clear now. Thanks!

One last thing that I didn't see in the targeting tracks tutorial was how to drag a clip onto the timeline without the audio. In FCP you simply 'un-hitch' the audio channel if I remember correctly. I can't seem to do that on the PPro timeline, or I've obviously missed a step.

• 3. Re: Moving Around the Timeline
              Colin Brougham Level 6

There are two buttons in the Source Monitor panel that look like a film strip and a speaker; dragging one or the other of those drags just the video or audio portion of the clip.

• 4. Re: Moving Around the Timeline
                OstiaAlex Level 1

Right. I'm more of a keyboard shortcut guy. I'm working on a project where I won't use any of the clip's sound, so was looking for a way to dissable that part when bringing clips in with the keys. I know I can ask the software not to include my audio when originally importing the clips which is what I'll do next time.

Still just experimenting. Thanks for your patience!

• 5. Re: Moving Around the Timeline
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

In that case, disable the Source Track indicators for the clip tracks you don't want to bring in; those are the V and A1/A2/etc buttons to the left of the Target Track indicators. That will prevent that particular part of a clip from being edited into a sequence when using keyboard shortcuts.

You can map the Source Track indicators to the keyboard, if you like; go to Keyboard Shortcuts, and under Application, scroll down to the "Toggle" shortcuts (or just search for "Toggle"). There are lots of options for which tracks you want to enable and disable.

• 6. Re: Moving Around the Timeline
                    Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Great thread guys. Some nice tips in here.