11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2011 8:24 PM by pwillener

Stuck update

kc310

Adobe Reader is stuck trying to update 10.1.0  Everyday it says an update is available.  It installs and say it updated successfully.  The next day it wants to update again.  I tried uninstalling 10.1.0 and it uninstalls ok.  Reader 10.0.1 is there also, but it will not let me uninstall.  When I try to uninstall it it says "The installation source for this product is unavailable.  Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."  I've tried uninstalling 10.1.0 and reinstalling it, but it still wants to update daily.  I'm running Vista.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Stuck update
          LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

You will need to uninstall 10.0.1 using cleanup tools recommended on this forum before installing new version.

This will fix Updater issue.

Good luck

• 2. Re: Stuck update
            pwillener Level 8

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be downloaded from http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

After you performed the cleanup, you can download the latest installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

• 3. Re: Stuck update
              kc310 Level 1

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Another Stuck Update
                EAST Webmaster

Hi

I have got the same problem, Adobe Reader keeps on informing me of an update even though the About Adobe Reader Help item tells me that I am running V10.1.0!!!!

Why should I be required to do an uninstall/reinstall, especially an uninstall that requires the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility?

How many other users have the same problem?

The Adobe Reader Updater must have an error. It is about time Adobe fixed it.

• 5. Re: Another Stuck Update
                  Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

You are not addressing Adobe here, just fellow users who don't know the answers to your questions and cannot do anything to get Adobe fixing anything.

• 6. Re: Another Stuck Update
                    EAST Webmaster Level 1

Understood. BUT how else is the ordinary user going to flag such issues to Adobe?

This forum has Adobe employees who act as moderators. I quote '
                    Community moderation  is handled by a team of dedicated Community Professionals and Adobe  employees.'

I would expect one of them would pick up on that there is an issue impinging on Adobe's corporate image, and refer it to the appropriate manager!

• 7. Re: Another Stuck Update
                      EAST Webmaster Level 1

It looks as if the 10.1.1 release has fixed this. Perhaps Adobe listen in here

• 8. Re: Stuck update
                        CykoCy

Wrong-o.  10.1.1 did not fix this problem.  Unable to install updates because both 10.0.1 and 10.1.1 are resident, and 10.0.1 was not removed properly by the 10.1.1 major update, and the catch 22, updater won't install its' downloads with 10.0.1 still present, but 10.0.1 won't uninstall...........so round and round we go.

I refuse to use the Widows Installer Cleanup Utility and spend the next week trying to re-install 45 programs because Adobe has issues.  So tired of Reader trying to update 10.1.1 daily when it won't.

How does one remove the leftover fragments of 10.0.1 so 10.1.1 can enjoy life a little?

• 9. Re: Stuck update
                          EAST Webmaster Level 1

CyKoCy

You are right, it is not fixed!!!

What happens on my PC is that it now only flags an update once a day, previously it kept on flagging the update.

Sorry for posting bad info

Update:

When V10.1.1 was released it looked as though this was fixed, then I started to get the update 'nag message' once a day. Now I am getting it continiously.

Obviously Adobe have no interest in the customer experience

• 10. Re: Stuck update
                            CykoCy Level 1

I totally disagree with Willener Gat's recommendation to use the "unsupported" and very complex "Windows Clean-Up Utility" as a viable option for correcting the Adobe issue of not cleaning-up old versions when new, major updates are allowed to install....automatically.  Unless you are a total computer geek with lots of IT experience, tread lightly when cleaning up your OS with rouge utilities.

• 11. Re: Stuck update
                              pwillener Level 8

"rouge utilities"...?  "very complex"...?

This is a Microsoft utility that was taken off support because it was not fully able to clean up corrupted Office 2007 installations.

It has worked well to clean up corrupted Adobe Reader installations for many years.  The only other option to clean up corrupted installations is to have users do it manually.  I do not recommend inexperienced users to use regedit for cleaning!