11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2012 9:22 AM by RalphieRulz

InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8

Mario Cajina Level 1

I've been following some similar threads but they mostly have to do with Mac OS X Lion.

I have three users at my site with this particular issue: InDesign CS4 crashes when they need to send the job to print. The crash reports are almost identical for all three users, so I will only post the crash reports from one user's computer:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)_1.png

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)_2.png

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV).png

Any help would be excellent. Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
          John Hawkinson Level 5

That's an interesting way to post crash reports. It doesn't make it easy to quote the text.

The crash reports are almost identical for all three users, so I will only post the crash reports from one user's computer:

Are you sure? Because the three reports you posted are completely different.

The first one:

PublicLib.dylib    ProtectiveShutdown::~ProtectiveShutdown() + 279
          DataBaseLib.dylib SUIDS::HandleLostNetConnect()   

Appears to be because InDesign detected the network disappeared. Check ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 6.0/en_us/InDesign Recovery/Recovery/ProtectiveShutdownLog for more information. (Feel free to post the beginning of the file.) I am skeptical printing is involved?

The second one is in Adobe.InDesign.Image Filters it might be nice to see more of the report to know why that was called and give a clue why it failed.

The third one...not quite enough information. Something about a progress bar?

These don't really look like printing.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
            Mario Cajina Level 1

Here are the last seven crashes from the system's Console Log from one of the user's computer:

http://pastebin.com/h6bnQfHf

Here are the corresponding InDesign Crash Reports for the last three incidents:

http://pastebin.com/Mm4eyZEK

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Ow!

Please edit your post and strip all that out and post it somewhere else, like pastebin.com, and leave a link here. It makes the forum un-navigable.

Seriously. Please edit your post.

Anyhow, all of those crashes are the same, yes, top of the stack:

Thread 0 Crashed:  Main Thread  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
              0   ???                               0xa0c356f0 _XHNDL_trapback_instruction + 0
              1   ...adobe.InDesign.AppFramework    0x300ec6cf 0x300e0000 + 50895
              2   PublicLib.dylib                   0x010b67ff CmdUtils::ScheduleCommand(ICommand*, ICommand::Priority) + 95
              3   com.adobe.InDesign.Widgets        0x381e4b25 0x381df000 + 23333
              4   ...obe.InDesign.Application UI    0x303cb0db 0x303b9000 + 73947
              5   ...obe.InDesign.Application UI    0x303cda11 0x303b9000 + 84497
              6   PublicLib.dylib                   0x01282373 BaseProgressBar::~BaseProgressBar() + 51
              7   PublicLib.dylib                   0x01282416 SubTaskFoldupProgressBar::~SubTaskFoldupProgressBar() + 102
              8   PublicLib.dylib                   0x010fcd6f BIBProgressWrapper::~BIBProgressWrapper() + 47
              9   AdobeBIB                          0x0081818a 0x807000 + 70026
              10  AdobeBIB                          0x0080cf81 BIBInitialize2 + 9533

That's not very helpful though. "Something about a progress bar." And it's called from the AdobeAGM initialization.

So...maybe it is about...printers? What kind of printer do you have selected? Something about the PPD file? Try changing your machine's default printer to something bland and generic, then trashing your InDesign Preferences, and trying again?

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                Mario Cajina Level 1

OK, I've edited my second post and left links to pastebin.com.

The reports I pasted are from one user. There are three people having the same issue. I can post the last couple of crash reports from a second user if you like. I'm not at the site today, so I can't collect any more data from their computers today.

They are accessing assets (images, etc.) from a Mac OS X Server, the workstations are Mac Pros configured with 16GB of RAM. They usually have Photoshop or Illustrator running at the same time (as well as email and browswer) as the crash happens. Only InDesign crashes. The other apps keep running. They have told me that the crash typically happens when they try to print from InDesign.

I'll have to check Monday if they are all printing to the same printer (could be PPD?).

• 5. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                  Mario Cajina Level 1

A fourth user is now having the InDesign crash on print issue.

This is the Apple console log of this user's last two crashes: http://pastebin.com/YVUQ2hQz

Here is the InDesign Crash Report for the last crash: http://pastebin.com/eY9XsUt6

Addtionally, one of the original three users having the issue told me it happens when he tried to export to PDF/JPEG. I checked their Print setups in Systems Preferences and they all have the correct PPDs for the two printers they use. The user above got an "Out of Memory" error when trying to print the job that crashed InDesign in the report above.

I was actually with her when the crash occurred and saw it on-screen.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                    John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm not sure I'll be able to help you.

This last crash is still a different one, apprently in window manipulation, namely PanelView::WindowHidden().

Perhaps you have something causing random unrelated crashes.

My comment about the PPD was not so much to verify that you had the correct PPD, but for you to tell us which one that was. Which PPD?

Can you try changing the printer to be the generic PPD file? Or the

Adobe or Apple Laserwriter or whatnot? Because it might be some kind

of interaction between the PPD file and InDesign.

I suppose we never stopped to ask -- what changed in your enviornment

to make these crashes happen? I assume everything was working fine

until recently? Were there software or hardware changes? Or...?

Good luck!

Maybe you should try the free trial of InDesign CS5 (or CS5.5) and see

if that improves things.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                      Mario Cajina Level 1

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to help. The printers are a Canon C5185, a Canon ImagePress C1 (on the network it shows up as a "Canon iPR Server Q1 V1.0"), and an HP DesignJet 5500ps. At first, I thought it was a low memory issue, but all the users have 4GB of RAM or more. While some of the images are high resolution, two of the users have 16GB of RAM installed. I'm not so sure it's the PPDs. I'm actually quite stumped now. LOL

I was just at the desk of one of the affected users. She reduced the resolution of one of the images and the print job went through. However, after the job was at the printer queue, InDesign crashed twice about 4 mins apart. She's using an iMac loaded with 4GB RAM. The printers are set up with the right drivers in the Print preferences.

Initial crash after print job went through: http://pastebin.com/r7bTLLuB

Second crash after restarting InDesign: http://pastebin.com/DSB6K1dA

This error message accompanied the second crash.

InDesign_Crash_3.54.07 PM.png

• 8. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Hi, Mario.

We don't seem to be making progress here. Any thoughts on my questions (above) about what has changed in the environment?

Once again, these crashes don't really seem related to each other. It's more like "InDesign is crashing in random places in the program," and that's never a good sign. Perhaps you have a virus?

Second crash after restarting InDesign: http://pastebin.com/DSB6K1dA

This error message accompanied the second crash.

Ah yes, this is a "Protective Shutdown." Please go look at ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 6.0/en_us/InDesign Recovery/ProtectiveShutdownLog

which should be a text file with human-readable (maybe) information at the top related to the reason for the crash.

• 9. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                          Mario Cajina Level 1

Hi John,

SInce I am only here for a few days, I had to ask the System Admin if there had been any upgrades (software/hardware) performed before 7/28 (the oldest date of InDesign crashes). Does the crash reporter only keep a certain number of crash reports? The most I found in one of the affected computers is 16 items (oldest being 7/28).

The Sys Admin said two of the affected users are new hires, so their computers had fresh images applied: Mac OS X 10.6.8, InDesign CS4 6.0.6.622. 16GB RAM.

The third computer had been around longer, but the oldest crash report is 8/11. Mac OS X 10.6.5, InDesign CS4 6.0.6.622. 4GB RAM.

This is the ProtectiveShutdownLog of user 3: http://pastebin.com/3DiYqf2H

The good thing is that when InDesign crashes on them and they relaunch the application, they have not lost any work. They save often, and the autorecover bring them back to their document. However, the crashes don't happen at random, but only when they try to print or export to PDF (now).

I've asked the affected users to use lower-resolution FPO copies of the images used in the docs to see if that solves it.

• 10. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                            John Hawkinson Level 5
                            SInce I am only here for a few days, I had to ask the System Admin if there had been any upgrades (software/hardware) performed before 7/28 (the oldest date of InDesign crashes). Does the crash reporter only keep a certain number of crash reports? The most I found in one of the affected computers is 16 items (oldest being 7/28).

There is some Apple mechanism that ages out crash reports, I think it does so around 60 days. But Adobe also logs the crash reports in a second place, in ~/Library/Logs/Adobe/LogTransport/Archive/ and I do not believe those ever expire.

This is the ProtectiveShutdownLog of user 3: http://pastebin.com/3DiYqf2H

So, this says:

Adobe InDesign Protective Shutdown Log
                            Mon Aug 15 15:53:44 2011 

CloseDocCmd - document is still referenced

Session started up at 3:51 PM on Mon, Aug 15, 2011
                            Version: 6.0.6 - Build: 622

No Error Info

Document has 2 extra references

I think this means that the user tried to close the document and InDesign detected an internal consistency error, where some portion of InDesign was still referring to the document it was trying to close, but it could not determine why the reference count was higher than it should have been.

However, the crashes don't happen at random, but only when they try to print or export to PDF (now).

Sorry, I think I was unclear.

What I meant was that from the perspective of the crash reports, the crashes look random. I realize they are all happening from printing, but normally when you have consistent crashing in InDesign (or anything else), it will crash in the same place in the program.

I suspect you will have to engage Adobe for assistance on this. However, I fear they may just tell you to upgrade to CS5.5...

Good luck!

• 11. Re: InDesign CS4 (6.0.6.622) crashes on print, Mac OS X 10.6.8
                              RalphieRulz

I had the same problem. I had CS3 installed, and upgraded to CS4 but had crashes. I completely uninstalled CS3 and CS4, then did a clean install of CS4 and it is now working.