7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2012 7:39 PM by robosnacks

Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?

mastalee420

Hello,

I'm having problems with many files losing their assets from the timeline after a save and reopening the file in Mac OS X Snow Leopard. This is happens quite often now and there seems to be no pattern to it. For example, I will open an existing Flash animation complete with sound and artwork, make changes to the animation timing, test the SWF and everything looks good, then save. After reopening the exact same file, there will be audio that was on the timeline will be an empty frame. In addition, there is art work that was swapped out or updated to a character and the symbols becomes empty after reopening. I'm losing days and hours of work and I can't seem to find any answers or help to figure out what's going on.

Any insight would be appreciated!

thanks!

• 2. Re: Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?
          Sukhi12 Level 1

Hi ,

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience  it has caused.

What is the full file version of Flash installed CS5 / CS5.5 (eg. 11.5.0.325).

Are you saving your files on a Network or on local drive ?

Can you please send  your fla file to FlashAuthBetaBugs@adobe.com . If you are  zip your fla, please change the .zip extension to .zzz to avoid our spam filter system.

Please also include  as much reproducible steps as you  can from your workflow that will help in investigating this issue internally .

Thanks
          Sukhbir
          Flash Authoring

• 3. Re: Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?
            Munchy Crunchy

I was just looking through the forum to see if anybody else was dealing with this. This has been happening regularly between both myself and a co-worker. We asked a Flash-using friend and he is going through it as well. I'll answer a few of  Sukhbir's questions:

Version we're on is 5.5

We've tried saving on both Network and Local with same result.

What we've noticed is that some frames created between saves (in existing symbols or new ones) disappear after the file's been saved, closed and re-opened.

It's a hard thing to explain and a frustrating thing to deal with - would love for some help because I think we're going to have to figure a way to go back to CS3 for our next project (the last version we didn't have huge problems with).

• 4. Re: Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?
              robosnacks Level 1

Same problem here. Glad I'm not the only one. It's incredibly frustrating to spend a few hours sketching something on a deadline only to find that 'save' didn't actually save it. Flash has been getting progessively worse with each version, and now it's time to jump ship. This is totally unacceptable. I guess half an upgrade meant it half worked. Adobe...come on. You didn't test the SAVE function?!?!?! Suddenly the rest of Flash's problems make a lot of sense.

• 5. Re: Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?
                Sukhi12 Level 1

Hi  ,

Do you have the updated version of Flash CS5.5 Version (11.5.1.349 )   ?   To check the Flash Version go to  Flash > Help > About Flash

We have released an updater for Flash  in Sep  20'11

The  update contains fixes for opening and saving some Flash  Professional files (FLAs) in CS5.5, and other bug fixes.

Please download  Flash CS5.5 updater .  If you still see the issue after updating  send me the fla file  with reproducible steps .

You Can download from  Flash > Help > Updates .

Thanks
                Sukhbir

• 6. Re: Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?
                  Sukhi12 Level 1

Hi  robosnacks ,

Can you please let me know the flash version  you are having issue ? Is CS5 or CS5.5 .

Thanks

Sukhbir

Flash Authoring

• 7. Re: Anyone having problems with art/animation/audio disappearing from the timeline after a save?
                    robosnacks Level 1

I now use CS5.5 but I've noticed it on every version since CS4.

I JUST ran the latest update to 11.5.1.349

I'll let you know if it continues but for now I'm planning to learn a new software. Finally have some time to focus on this and if it works out I may say so long to Flash. I'll give CS6 a try but if it's not SIGNIFICANTLY improved (Brush tool comparable to ToonBoom, No losing data, Better Playback, Ability to export HTML5), it's just not worth it anymore. I've been using Flash since version 1 and since Adobe took it over, I hate to say that anything other than actionscript has gone WAY downhill. Many new features but they don't actually work well, or crash at runtime if used beyond a tutorial's level intensity. What's the point of all that functionality if it looks like garbage and can't perform on a professional level? Even if you do take the extra time to work slowly or limited to make it look nice - it loses the data! or now without HTML5 your venues of use are sliced in half? Pointless. I don't want to trash all my Flash experience, but I'm done defending an inferior product and waiting for it to catch up to a modern professional standard. I think my Flash days may be over very soon unfortunately. I feel like the're more interested in defending what they've created, than in making it work or even asking us what we want. I feel like a Girlfriend who's Man keeps promising to get steady work but hasn't after 10 years. Flash...we need to talk.