5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 1:34 AM by torztorz

Adobe InDesign CS4 crashing when launched.

torztorz

Hello,

I purchased the Adobe CS4 Design Premium for Mac OS, Student Edition early last year and all programs worked well except for InDesign. It constantly wouldn't 'respond' when it was launched and I would have to force quit. The start up menu appears and I'm able to select 'Document' for my type of file but then I get the rainbow pinwheel and have to close the program down. Because of this, I have never even used this program and I really need to for university in the next few weeks.

I have just tried uninstalling/reinstalling and the same problem occurs. I have also tried to download 'AdobeInDesign6_0_6Patch-All-1', but when launched I get a message saying it cannot be opened as it is unrecognised.

I'm currently using Max OS X Version 10.6.6 and have plenty of room on my drive. Could anyone please help me because I'm running out of options and don't want to have to constantly reinstall or download updates which do not work.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Adobe InDesign CS4 crashing when launched.
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Seems like there have been a lot of hangs this week.

Have you trashed your preferences, as recommended on the main forum page?: Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

If that doesn't do it, well, we can debug the hang.

Make InDesign hang,  and then run Activity Monitor and select InDesign. Go to Sample Process. Save the output and upload it to pastebin.com (do not upload it here! the   forum does not deal well with large files). Post a link here. We can   get a pretty good idea of what InDesign is doing when it hangs.

Sometimes   the call graph from sample process refers to symbols that exist in   multiple InDesign modules (like "GetPlugin"). If so, and we need to   distinguish them, it's necessary to force a crash and look at the crash   report (again, upload to pastebin.com). Force a crash in Activity   Monitor with View > Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT). Upload to pastebin.com as above and post a link here.

I'll try to be prompt in my analysis.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe InDesign CS4 crashing when launched.
            torztorz Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't quite understand the 'Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences' and tried to do the keyboard trick to get the dialog but no dice. I followed those first steps you told me and ended up with this URL; http://pastebin.com/yVi4B0CB

Hopefully that link works and displays the Sample Process I saved.

This link is the result of me following your steps in Activity Monitor by selecting Send Signal: Abort (SIGABRT).

http://pastebin.com/e35w6282

Hope that's what you're after, thanks!

• 3. Re: Adobe InDesign CS4 crashing when launched.
              John Hawkinson Level 5

The second one is not what I was looking for, but the first is sufficient:

2393 Thread_47571   DispatchQueue_1: com.apple.main-thread  (serial)
              2393 start
              2393 start
              2393 main
              2393 GetPlugIn
              2393 0x208e4858
              2393 GetPlugIn
              2393 GetPlugIn
              2393 GetPlugIn
              2393 TIN_DisposeFont
              2393 SINGDLLAccess_EnumerateLocations
              2393 SINGDLLAccess_EnumerateLocations
              2393 SINGLIB::CatalogOperationContext::CatalogOperationContext(boost::shared_ptr<SINGLIB::Cont ext>)
              2393 SINGLIB::SystemLock::Acquire()

2393 sem_wait$NOCANCEL$UNIX2003

Your problem is the SING plugin. See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html

for directons on how to fix it.

• 4. Re: Adobe InDesign CS4 crashing when launched.
                torztorz Level 1

Oh my, thankyou! It works now! I'm not sure what to do with the 'Datastore' folder on my desktop now? Do I need to keep it or can I move it to Trash?

• 5. Re: Adobe InDesign CS4 crashing when launched.
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, you know, it's always dangerous to tell people to delete things....

But it has no value. Do with it what you will.

1 person found this helpful