1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 9:28 AM by MurraySummers

Creating an online help screen?

newleaf1124

I am creating documentation for my company, and the ideal way to present it would be through an online help screen.  When users are connected to the website, they would click a link, and a help screen would pop up.

I can make the various pages in Dreamweaver CS5, no problem there.  There will be at least 40 or 50 pages when I'm done.

But I need to do more than simply present a bunch of pages.  The help screen needs a table of contents.  It needs to be searchable (so users can insert a word, and be taken to any pages that contain that word).  And it would be great if it could include an index and/or a glossary.

HTML Help Workshop from Microsoft would have been the perfect program to create a compiled .CFM file.   I made a test file with it, and it looks great, but apparently, it's no longer possible to access this kind of file over the web, at least not in Windows.

So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to create this in Dreamweaver.  Are there any tutorials that address this specific application?  Does anyone know of any templates or examples that I could see?

If at all possible, I'd like to do it entirely in Dreamweaver, rather than purchasing a license for Robohelp.

• 1. Re: Creating an online help screen?
          MurraySummers Level 8

HTML Help Workshop from Microsoft would have been the perfect program to create a compiled .CFM file.   I made a test file with it, and it looks great, but apparently, it's no longer possible to access this kind of file over the web, at least not in Windows.

It is possible as long as your server runs ColdFusion, and that can happen in either Windows or *nix.