4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 7:52 AM by illucine

Contemplating to buy a XF-300. What CF card is best?

Harm Millaard Level 7

Rare occasion, I come with a serious question, instead of replying to questions, so take your chance and help me please.

I'm contemplating the Canon XF-300/305 camera and while looking into CF cards for these cameras, I found huge price differences. I'm only looking into 32 or 64 GB cards, less is just too limited and more too expensive. I rather have 3 or 4 x 32 GB cards than 2 x 64 GB cards because if one fails....

So, from the screenshot below, what would you look at?

12-8-2011 18-00-48.jpg

My own initial reaction is the Transcend 32 GB 400x for € 59.50 but maybe you have hands-on experience and can help me avoid making a big mistake.

Background: Up till today my first choice would have been the Sony PMW-EX3/3, but I have been advised against that, despite the bigger sensors and exchangeable glass, and advised the XF-300 because of the 4:2:2 colorspace, the 50 Mb recording and the quality of the glass, next to the much more modern architecture.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Contemplating to buy a XF-300. What CF card is best?
          Frédéric Segard Level 2

Last year was my big buying decision for a camera. If you think I'm over thinking things with my editing PC build now, imagine then! hehehe! I ended up buying a Panasonic HPX370 with P2 cards. A lot more expensive, but well worth it after testing all the other cameras in a specific "price" range on the market. But back then the XF series was not out yet. For me 4:2:2 is a must. Plus the fact it's a real shoulder mount, with a real manual lens, and I could put a lectrosonic unislot receiver... well, you get the picture.

Honestly, I was not impressed with the Sony EXs. The picture is nice, but the ergonomics are wrong. Sure they have a larger sensor, but 35Mbps 4:2:0 long GOP that are stored on cards priced the same as P2? P2 cards can handle 100Mbps... 35Mbps is compact enough for SDHC cards. And That's why JVC uses them, with the same codec as Sony's. Ridiculous if you ask me. But that's typical to Sony!  Another bummer with the EX that turned me off? I regularly need to review footage, and switching to and from CAM and VTR takes a whooping 25 seconds!  Woohaaaa!!! Another strike for EX!

But if I were looking at a hand held sized cameras, and if the XF was out when I tested all the cameras, the 50Mbps 4:2:2 codec looks mighty interesting to me. Even if it's long GOP.  They are also resonably priced cameras.

All this to say, when I was seriously considering the JVC HM700, my card of choice was the Transcend series. After much research, they offer the best price/capacity/quality ratio. And the JVC reseller I delt with swore by them. Of course they are SDHC cards and not CF. But I just thought my anecdote would help steer things in the right direction.

• 2. Re: Contemplating to buy a XF-300. What CF card is best?
            Jim_Simon Level 9

Based on their success with SD media, I'd be inclined to stick with SanDisk Extreme Pro or the Lexar Professional.

Of course, there is the larger issue of camera choice.  If you're looking at that kind of money, I have to put in a plug for the forthcoming Panny HPX250 with master-quality 10-bit, 4:2:2 AVC-Intra recording (assuming you can wait till it's out).

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/en/news/ag-hpx250-with-4-2-2-avc-intra-recording,4297

• 3. Re: Contemplating to buy a XF-300. What CF card is best?
              Frédéric Segard Level 2

JSS1138 wrote:

Based on their success with SD media, I'd be inclined to stick with SanDisk Extreme Pro or the Lexar Professional.

Of course, there is the larger issue of camera choice.  If you're looking at that kind of money, I have to put in a plug for the forthcoming Panny HPX250 with master-quality 10-bit, 4:2:2 AVC-Intra recording (assuming you can wait till it's out).

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/en/news/ag-hpx250-with-4-2-2-avc-in tra-recording,4297

(Drooling) It's definitely my next B-Cam!    Perfect complement to my HPX370 (same sensor, same codec, perfect match)

• 4. Re: Contemplating to buy a XF-300. What CF card is best?
                illucine

Harm,

I can also recommend the Transcend brand.  I've been using a 16GB Transcend SDHC card with a Panasonic HMC-150 for about 2 years now (many erases and rewrites) and have never had a single error.  I also have a Panasonic card, which some people say is better quality, and have encountered data errors with it.  I bought another Transcend card (32GB) a few months ago and have not had any problems with it.  I have no experience with any CF cards.

Roy