6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 7:36 AM by John Hawkinson

Text breaks in unwanted places

talltim1 Level 1

I have a file here and in a text frame the text os breaking in the wrong places. There are three em dashes used. I've tried using different types of dashes etc, but the text can still break oddly if I change the width of the text frame narrower.

I converted the Indesign file to quark and it works OK there.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, Tim

Here is the file:

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/uvz0tv

• 1. Re: Text breaks in unwanted places
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Opened, it, looked thru it, here's what I find "to far out of the norm"

Aside from the font at 12.992pt

I changed from Adobe Single Line Composer to Adobe Paragraph Composer (under Style > Justification) which fixed the strange break for the word perfect. I also changed Word Spacing there to minimum 80%, desired 100%, maximum 133%. That and a non-breaking hyphen after fresh has it looking correct.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text breaks in unwanted places
            Daniel Flavin Level 4

a few other oddities -

The P Style contains a .038 stoke.

The file last opened on a machine that is not fully patched

Log file for the document:

Created on Macintosh 10.58 in app version 6.0.3.557 (FS InDesign Roman) build 352 on Friday, February 05, 2010 at 2:33 PM
            <<snip 5 lines>>

Save As on Macintosh 10.68 in app version 6.0.1.525 (FS InDesign Server) build 525 on Friday, August 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM
            Most recent Save on Macintosh 10.68 in app version 6.0.1.525 (FS InDesign Server) build 525 on Friday, August 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM

6.0.6 I believe is the current patch level for CS4

The last save was on a machine, lesser up to date, than the created on ?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Text breaks in unwanted places
              talltim1 Level 1

Hi Daniel, thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid we have to use single line composer and keep our word spacing 100, 100, 100 in order for our website to accurately mimic what Indesign Server will do when a customer puts text onto our products... even with our settings surely Indesign should not break text in such a way?

• 4. Re: Text breaks in unwanted places
                talltim1 Level 1

The .038 stroke is odd... I will have to look into that.

• 5. Re: Text breaks in unwanted places
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are a number of things that seem odd to me (I renamed the fonts folder and opened it in CS5 so ID would find the fonts you sent).

The vertical height of the pasteboard is HUGE, and I get a missing APID plugin warning. Neither of those will keep the file from opening, but the large pasteboard is often indicative of a file problem, and the missing plugin might be part of the problem as well. Is it installed on the server version? I also get a font manager plugin error.

I notice that your version of server is at 6.0.1. Are the patches released for server, too? That might also help. Current version of CS4 is 6.0.6.

I tried saving as .inx from CS4, and that neither fixed the pasteboard nor the line breaks, which kind of shoots down my theory.

• 6. Re: Text breaks in unwanted places
                    John Hawkinson Level 5
                    I notice that your version of server is at 6.0.1. Are the patches released for server, too? That might also help. Current version of CS4 is 6.0.6.

Yes, they are. Prior to CS5, though, they are not available on the public Adobe web site, you have to get them through another mechanism.