2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 7:58 AM by Alison - ClearlyStated

Cross-references in InDesign not converting to links in PDF

Alison - ClearlyStated Level 1

Hi,

I can't work out any pattern to this... I've got a number (75, to be precise) of cross references within a single InDesign file to other locations within that same file. As far as InDesign is concerned, all are working well - I can go from destination to source and back again.

When I export to PDF, about 20% of them (I didn't count, I'm afraid) jump me to one particular page.. page 58 of the 61 page document. They shouldn't. There are only two correct links to that destination, the rest should go to various other pages. All cross-references are using heading styles. I have not used any bookmarks (if I remember correctly - the work was done a while ago but the issue has only just been raised).

In some cases, there are destinations in the PDFs for the appropriate pages, so I'm fixing the links in that way. They may not be the original destinations, because I have got more than one destination per page in some cases. In other cases, there are no destinations for the required page... they haven't been exported, so I'm having to create destinations in the PDF as well. I've noticed a lot of destinations end in "Anchor xx" (where xx is a number), others are a 5-digit number... what's the difference?

It's been a pain correcting these, but is going to be even worse when the document is updated in a couple of months... I don't want to have to manually recreate each hyperlink every time. I also wanted to use InDesign for another project, but the files would be updated regularly in that case and if this is a known bug, it wouldn't be an acceptable overhead.

Any suggestions? Oh - the graphics are nearly all linked, and most are in anchored frames... don't know if that has an impact, but I did notice when picking headings to cross reference to that some had (graphic) after the heading title.

Thanks in advance,

Alison

• 1. Re: Cross-references in InDesign not converting to links in PDF
          peter minneapolis Level 4

Alison - ClearlyStated wrote:

Hi,

I can't work out any pattern to this... I've got a number (75, to be precise) of cross references within a single InDesign file to other locations within that same file. As far as InDesign is concerned, all are working well - I can go from destination to source and back again.

When I export to PDF, about 20% of them (I didn't count, I'm afraid) jump me to one particular page.. page 58 of the 61 page document. They shouldn't. There are only two correct links to that destination, the rest should go to various other pages. All cross-references are using heading styles. I have not used any bookmarks (if I remember correctly - the work was done a while ago but the issue has only just been raised).

In some cases, there are destinations in the PDFs for the appropriate pages, so I'm fixing the links in that way. They may not be the original destinations, because I have got more than one destination per page in some cases. In other cases, there are no destinations for the required page... they haven't been exported, so I'm having to create destinations in the PDF as well. I've noticed a lot of destinations end in "Anchor xx" (where xx is a number), others are a 5-digit number... what's the difference?

It's been a pain correcting these, but is going to be even worse when the document is updated in a couple of months... I don't want to have to manually recreate each hyperlink every time. I also wanted to use InDesign for another project, but the files would be updated regularly in that case and if this is a known bug, it wouldn't be an acceptable overhead.

Any suggestions? Oh - the graphics are nearly all linked, and most are in anchored frames... don't know if that has an impact, but I did notice when picking headings to cross reference to that some had (graphic) after the heading title.

Thanks in advance,

Alison

Have you tried saving as IDML then regenerating a PDF from the cleaned document? Any change?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Cross-references in InDesign not converting to links in PDF
            Alison - ClearlyStated Level 1

Thanks, Peter. Obviously a known issue - but I didn't know. Worked like a dream.

Alison