15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 9:34 AM by Rick Gerard

SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?

wet_bimbette

Hi,

Is the SMPTE TimeCode format in AE CS5.5 customisable so that it can be changed from HH:MM:SS:FF to give tenths and one hundredths of a second rather than the frame count to the right of the seconds counter ( ...SS:nn)?

I have it inserted into a video clip where it is counting upwards as:

00:00:29:23

00:00:29.24

00:00:30:00

For a 25fps video after the 24th frame in the 29th second it jumps to 30.00 seconds. The 24th frame is equal to .96 seconds so my question is can it be configured to display 00:00:29.96 where all units are time units and not intermingled time and frame units.

I have migrated to AE from Premiere Pro in the understanding that the TimeCode is more user friendly in AE but it seems to be the same locked format as it is in Premiere Pro.

I know that I can purchase the DVdate plugin but hope to be able to resolve the format without the need for another purchase.

Any help most appreciated.

Rgds

• 1. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Did you follow the instructions I gave you here

AE. Timecode 02.jpg

• 2. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
            wet_bimbette Level 1

TimeCode.jpg

Fuzzy,

Yes, I followed the instructions but it then threw my timer out. I know that at a specific point in the video it should be reading 29.96 secs and when I have the time unit set at 25 it reads 29.24 which is equal to 29.96 by converting the 24 frames at 25fps to 0.96 secomds. However, when I set the time unit to 100 it throws this out to 38.20 seconds.

I am nearly there with it but am just missing something?

Rgds

• 3. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Have a look at the screenshot above: the playhead is in 29:24, whereas the timer shows 29:96.

Take and post your one with the effect settings so that I'm able to see.

(Also check your composition settings. If I'm not mistaken, your footage is 25 fps. The composition should also be of the same frame rate)

• 4. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                The playhead in your screenshot is in 38:05, which is exactly 38:20 your timer displays...

My turn wondering if I'm missing something ?..

• 5. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                  wet_bimbette Level 1

Fuzzy,

I have attached the screenshot with the timer at 29.24 = 29.96 secs.

I offset the starting point to get it to start at a specific point as I did not seem to get it into the video clip at the correct position. I split the clip and wanted it to go after the split but it inserted it at the beginning before the split. If I keep the same offset point and set the Time Units to 100 it changes the timer at the precise point in the clip to 36.14.

As I said earlier, I am nearly there it is just a final bit of fine tuning.

TimeCode2.jpg

• 6. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

2. Pre-compose the whole clip (not just second splitted part) and open new composition with pre-composed layer.

3. Click the 'time' field and type '-806'

4. Select layer and press '['

5. Switch back to the composition with splitted parts and shift the 'in' point of the pre-comp to 8:06

6. Apply Timecode effect

P.S. Not to skip first step!
                    • 8. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                      wet_bimbette Level 1

Fuzzy,

Got it, it now shows the correct time of 29.96 seconds at the precise frame that it should. However, after I selected the layer and pressed the [ symbol I have lost the video before that point in the timeline. It contained some preamble that I had hoped to keep before the timer started running. The timer starts to run precisely at the [ point and all the video is available after that point but is lost before that point.

I had to use an offset of 824 to get it zeroed at the correct point.

Many thx for all your help, all I need to do now is to sort out why I have lost the preamble video and I am finally there.

TimeCode3.jpg

• 9. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd probably use an epression instead of the timecode effect.

If you want to count in hundredths of a second then you simply change the time source to custom, set the time uinits to 100, and then adjust the starting frame to the frame where you want the time to start at 0.

The way to check for accuracy is to leave the start frame at 0, then go to 1 frame less than 1 second or 2 seconds or 3 seconds and then step forward to exactly 1 second or 2 seconds or 3 seconds. The time code reading should switch to exactly 00:00:01:00 as soon as the CTI hits 1 second. The display one frame before it switches to exactly 1 second depends on the actual frame rate of the composition.

If you're working with NTSC footage you must make sure that your composition settings are for Drop Frame Timecode so that the hours, minutes, seconds counter will be accurate. (this is in CS 5.5. In CS5 and earlier you set the timecode display to non drop or drop frame in the Project settings).

It's as simple as that. Now just go to the point in your timeline where you want the time code to start, like the start of the race, and adjust the starting frame value so that the timecode display is zero. That's all there is to it.

Screen Shot 2011-08-12 at 3.02.07 PM.png

If it were me I'd use Dan Ebberts Universal Timer expression. You'll find it HERE. It's much more customizable than the Timecode Effect.

• 10. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                          Actually, Rick is correct!

(It's 2:30 a.m., should have been in my bed... )

You didn't correctly follow first two steps. Reflect on them in your pastime...

• 11. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                            wet_bimbette Level 1

Rick,

Thank you for the tip re the time code expression. I can understand the code OK, however, I am not sure what to do with the code to get it into AE. I presume I paste the code into some type of module then edit the settings to meet my requirements?

Would you please have the time to give me a bit of info on how to get the code into AE as there are no instructions on Dan Ebbert's page?

Fuzzy,

Yes, you are right, I missed out steps 1 and 2, I will go back and open it all up again as a new project from the *ts source file and repeat the process verbatim. Many thx for your help and patience. If I can ever return the favour should you venture into the world of databases and data analysis please let me know.

Rgds

• 12. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?

You paste the expression in the source text property of a text layer. I've modified the expression slightly. Here you set the starting frame for the timer and it will work with any frame rate. I modified the if else function to remove the minus sign and set the clock time before the starting frame to 0. I almost always work with the time display in the Timeline set to frames so this modification makes the timer easier to use.

rate = 1;
                              startFrame = 25; // set starting frame number
                              fps = thisComp.frameDuration;
                              clockStart = -fps * startFrame;
                              function padZero(n){
                                   if (n < 10) return "0" + n else return "" + n
                                   }

clockTime = clockStart + rate*(time - inPoint);

if (clockTime < 0){
                                   sign = "";
                                   clockTime = 0;
                                   }
                                   else{
                                     sign = "";
                                   } 

t = Math.floor(clockTime);
                              hr = Math.floor(t/3600);
                              min = Math.floor((t%3600)/60);
                              sec = Math.floor(t%60);
                              ms = clockTime.toFixed(3).substr(-3);
                              sign + padZero(hr) + ":" + padZero(min) + ":" + padZero(sec) + "." + ms

It's important to use a monospaced font and to justify the text to the right. Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2011-08-13 at 5.33.24 AM.png

• 13. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                                wet_bimbette Level 1

Rick,

Thank you for the explanation and the screen capture.

Can the text layer be saved internally so that it is available to other projects or does it have to be created every time the timer is required. If I have a series of events that need the timer inserting, then if the text layer can be saved it will be of benefit. I can see a pitfall in saving the text layer for future use whereby the starting frame needs to be deifned each time but that is a very quick edit if the text layer is available as a preconfigured object.

The working environment in which I am hoping to use the timers consists of up to 12 events in one *ts recorded video stream and my aim is to insert 12 timers, one per event, into an edited version of the *ts recorded video stream before re-rendering the final output.

I have another issue whereby AE CS5.5 seems to be unable to open the *ts recorded files whereas Premiere Pro will open the files, however, that is an issue for another topic.......

Rgds

• 14. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                  While Rick is out, I hijack the thread...

It's possible to store your text layer with timer as a separate composition and use it as many times as you want.

It's possible to duplicate that composition within just one click - Ctrl/Cmd+D - so as to do some adjustments in a copy.

AND it's possible to import AE composition into PrPro via Adobe Dynamic Link!
                                  • 15. Re: SMPTE TimeCode Format In AE CS5.5 - Tenths Of Seconds?

I store about 200 expressions that I commonly use as effects presets. They are carefully labeled. I can keep them on a flash drive so that when I do freelance work I can grab them for any project.

I do the same for some commonly used effects. They are easy to create. Here's some info from the help files, and you'll find a bunch of tutorials on the web for creating and using presets.