4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2011 8:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Unable to add Disk Menu in PE9

rznfcc

I am running Premeire Elements 9 on Windows 7 (64-bit).

I created 7 short 4-minute videos in wmv format and wish to set up a disk menu where each video may be executed individually.  I added each video to a single project and placed scene markers at the beginning of each and stop markers at the end of each.  However, when I select a template from the Disk Menu tab, PE9 doesn't do anything.  It gives no error messages and doesn't even indicate whether it is doing anything.

Interestingly, after I drag a background template over to where it says "To add menu drag Template here", while the "To add menu drag Template here" message is still visible, I am able to press the "Preview" button and see the 1st video.  The menu controls in the preview screen are greyed out so I am unable to navigate to anything other than the first of the seven videos.

• 1. Re: Unable to add Disk Menu in PE9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely those WMVs are giving the program fits.

Have you rendered the timeline yet? (Press Enter so that the red lines above the clips turn green.).

WMVs are one of the worst source files for Premiere Elements and are responsible for much of the program's buggy behavior.

Also, make sure that your stop markers are far enough away from your scene markers. I'd space them out at least a couple of seconds. Having them too close together can also cause problems.

And NEVER put a stop marker at the very end of your project's timeline. That can be fatal!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to add Disk Menu in PE9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I strongly agree with Steve, regarding those WMV files. How were they created? Is it possible to Export/Share to some other format, like DV-AVI w/ PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit?

If not, I would think of converting them to that format, and those specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unable to add Disk Menu in PE9
              rznfcc Level 1

Thanks Steve and BIll,

I had already read on another post to separate the videos so I had a 5 second gap between then.  I also had left off the stop marker on the last video.  I had also rendered the video production before trying to generate menus (The one thng I had not done was try the videos in a different format because 2 of the videos were supplied to me in WMV format.

I took your advice and re-rendered the videos that I personally had created, to AVI format.  Just to make things simpler, I only put two AVI videos into the project this time, set the markers as before, and tried to generate a video but I received the same result.  Does PE have trouble with both WMV and AVI?  My time has run out for this project as it had to be completed this morning.

As a workaround, I created the menus for these 7 videos in a completely different product (Windows Video Maker), since the original videos were in WMV.  However, I still will be trying to figure out what is going on in PE9 so I can use this menu feature successfully someday.  This has been quite frustrating and makes me wonder whether I made the right choice to purchase PE9 in the first place.  Others posts indicate they have been successful with Disk Menus so I'm not giving up ... yet.

What is the preferred format for a video in PE9?

• 4. Re: Unable to add Disk Menu in PE9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that we did not come up with a successful workflow in PrE.

As far as gaps in the Video go, they will visually be black, but can cause issues. The DVD spec., as well as BD, is built around Video, and gaps in the Video, can halt Transcoding. It is a good practice to separate elements with Black Video (created from the New Icon  in the Project Panel. Just like a Clip, the Duration can be adjusted to suit the gap. Now, if a gap in Clips on on one Video Track, is covered by Video on a higher Track, then all is perfectly fine. It is when there is a gap in the whole Video stream, that issues can arise. As another note, if the Audio Stream exceeds the Duration of the Video, one effectively has a gap - fill that with black video.

As for WMV's, PrE can Import those, but has a struggle working with them. They are heavily compressed, to begin with, and are a delivery-only format, designed for streaming Video. As such, WMV is a good format, using effective CODEC's. It is when one goes to edit them, that issues develop. PrE (and PrPro), are designed around the DV-AVI specs. and will always work best, with that format. I strongly recommend that one output to DV-AVI from other programs, or that one converts to DV-AVI, prior to Import.

Storytime: I was handed about four WMV's, not that long ago. I knew that the client had the original material, and that someone in their office had produced the WMV's for the company's Intranet, but the client did not want to find the original material, which I suspected was DV-AVI from their miniDV tape camera. I begged, but to no avail, so in anger, just threw the WVM's into Premiere, and made the cuts, plus added a few Titles, per the client's request. Normally, I would have done the conversion to DV-AVI first, but was in a hurry, and a bit mad, that they would not find the better material. With the editing done, I began authoring to a DVD. This was taking a very long time on my workstation, and the client was waiting. While drumming my fingers, and watching the progress bar just plod,  I went to the laptop, did a batch conversion of the WMV's, Imported those into Premiere, made the cuts, added the Titles, and authored. Though the workstation was almost an hour into the Transcoding, the laptop finished the Project, including the conversion, and then all the same editing, and spit out a DVD-9, which was handed off to a courier, while the workstation was still processing. It finished about 45 mins. after the laptop, and it had an hour headstart! Even if everything goes well, the processing time for WMV's will be greater, and can be significantly greater, than starting with DV-AVI.

Now, Windows Movie Maker is designed around the WMV format, and handles that footage much better. Many will use it, as a conversion program, to produce a DV-AVI for the real editing in Premiere, and this is not a bad workflow. Import the WMV, make rough cuts, and Export to DV-AVI for final editing. The one little limitation is that WMM Exports to DV-AVI Type I, but Premiere usually works with those (it prefers DV-AVI Type II), with the possible exception of a little static OOS (Out Of Syn), but that is easily fixed in Premiere.

When one is doing an assembly of separate Projects, we recommend Exporting/Sharing to DV-AVI, and then Importing those files into a New Project for final editing and authoring. The only other workflow recommended would be to use a lossless CODEC, like Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless, for the intermediate files. I use those, when I will be doing several intermediate steps in other programs, but for a simple Export/Share and then Import, the DV-AVI format works just fine, and those lossless CODEC's do take a little bit longer to process on both ends, but not a lot.

The good news is that you got your Project finished under the deadline. It's just too bad that you had to rely on another program for that result.

Good luck, and happy editing. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt