12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2011 2:29 PM by John Hawkinson

Purchasing InDesign 4...

hexagonian

I am a graphic artist...I use InDesign 5 at work and I love it. I'd like to get InDesign for my home computer for some light design work, so I went to Amazon to compare prices on ID5. Yikes...

However, I see a version of InDesign 4 (full retail, not academic) from a site called [reference deleted by forum host]. The site is linked on Amazon. The price for ID4 at this site is $119.

Is this legit????

Personally, I like InDesign 4 over InDesign5 because it runs much faster, and it does not crash...and paying 300+ dollars extra for a program that does not give me any features that I would need for the type of personal projects that I want to do at home is a colossal waste of cash in these cash-strapped times.

I do not want to pirate software either. (I am familiar with Adobe's registration process) All I want to know is if Adobe sanctions the sale of older versions of their programs. Seems like most companies pull the older versions as soon as the new ones come out.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
          Stix Hart Level 5

It won't be legit, Adobe don't sanction the sale of older programs.  And if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Do some study that will qualify you for an education version!  You'll make good use of your time, better yourself and get some cheap(er) software.

• 2. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
            John Hawkinson Level 5
            It won't be legit, Adobe don't sanction the sale of older programs.  And if it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

Wait, what?

I don't believe this is correct. Adobe distributed a large stock of boxed inventory of products, and those products can get purchased and resold by various resellers and even on the gray market, and all such products are legal to purchase and to use. There is no way for Adobe to "pull the product off the shelves." The vendor need not even be an Adobe authorized reseller.

(If the reseller is selling you a pirated version of the product or otherwise illegally duplicated, that's a different story).

My understanding is it is also legal to transfer a license from an individual, but for Adobe to accept that, various requirements need to be met and paperwork needs to be filled out on both sides. This is why purchasing this kind of software on EBay may be inadvisible. (Search for other threads on this.) Of course, that doesn't make it illegal or illegitimate.

As for too good to be true, well, that's certainly a factor. Though $120 doesn't sound ridiculous for software that is two releases out of date.

I would ask the seller careful questions but be cautiously prepared to accept the purchase as legitimate.

• 3. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
              Stix Hart Level 5

I stand by my comments John, that shop is not legitimate.  You talk about "boxed inventory of product", that website offers "download only" product.  Someone take out the reference to their website pronto please.

Also why do you have to wait for 2-12 hours for them to supply you with a serial number?!

There is such a thing as being too disingenuous.

• 4. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                John Hawkinson Level 5

I should have been a bit more clear. I wasn't able to find the site

selling this product on Amazon, but apparently you were. I certainly

do not and cannot vouch for them.

But I think your statement was incorrect -- you said that it would not

be legitimate for a store to sell an older product. That was what I

was responding to.

It's hardly apparent to me that removing references to questionable

sites is the way to go. At least if we leave the reference in the

thread, people can know what to potentially avoid and have a

reasonable discussion. It's not as if we're giving some advantage to

those who wish an illegitimate copy of InDesign -- I'm sure they can

find one for free.

Anyhow, I certainly agree that if it's "download only" and there is

a 2-12 hour wait for them to supply you with a serial number, then

it smells quite bad. http://adobe.com/go/reportpiracy

• 5. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Incidently, reviewing http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/avoid.html,

I see this claim:

"Do not buy downloadable software from anywhere except the Adobe Store. This is

the only authorized way to purchase Adobe software through download."

Isn't this either false or somewhat misleading? Volume licensing is

frequently purchased through resellers (esp in the education market,

like me. But also generally, if

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/tlp/ is any

guide). And volume licensing purchased through a reseller is still

downloadable from Adobe.

I suppose either this page was written by someone unaware of how

volume licensing works, or perhaps the thinking is that no one with a

volume license would stop to question its credibility?

I don't suppose anyone would care to suggest the right path to getting

that language corrected. I guess I could email piracy@adobe.com,

though, well, is that effective for abnormal inquiries?

• 6. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not misleading at all. The downloads, AFAIK, for volume licensing still go through Adobe's servers.

On the other topic, there may well be some legitimate old stock around but IMO those programs wouldn't be discounted that highly. In fact, they might even be priced higher than original because people are so in need of older versions for compatibility.

As always, caveat emptor.

Bob

• 7. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

BTW, here's some samples of legit earlier versions:

CS3: http://amzn.to/pyY2vL

CS4: http://amzn.to/oofwu8

These are through third parties on Amazon but check out the prices. No big savings here.

Bob

• 8. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                        John Hawkinson Level 5
                        Not misleading at all. The downloads, AFAIK, for volume licensing still go through Adobe's servers.

They do. But that is not the point, and you wouldn't know that until you spent the money anyhow.

The text reads: "Do not buy downloadable software from anywhere except the Adobe Store." It does not say "Do not download the software from anywhere except the Adobe Store."

I agree the distinction is small, but that does not make the statement true. Just close-to-true, which is not good enough, to my thinking.

And, it would be ridiculous if it did, since, again, by the time you found out, you would have spent the money.

• 9. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

I have been following this thread and would like to add some comments and clarifications to comments made in the thread:

(1)     In fact, there are absolutely legitimate sealed, boxed copies of older versions of genuine (i.e., not counterfeit DVDs and packaging) Adobe software available for purchase over the internet and otherwise. And as older software versions, one would naturally expect it to be sold at a very significant discount. Unless the product is stolen merchandise, it is likely legitimate. Adobe neither “sanctions” nor “doesn't sanction” sales of such software.

(2)     Adobe does in fact both sanction and facilitate sales of both current and older versions of “used” individual non-academic, non-volume licensed Adobe software, providing a mechanism for users to officially transfer the license from one user to another. You cannot sell (or buy) copies of Adobe software that previously were used as the basis of an upgrade (either of the product itself or to a suite). And again, you cannot resell any academic, student, or volume-licensed version of Adobe software.

(3)     I do not know about the particular reseller “linked on Amazon” but quite frankly, any merchant associated with or linked to by Amazon is not Amazon and although Amazon is an authorized Adobe reseller, that may or may not apply to these other merchants. Make no assumptions about such merchants or that Amazon will “make good” on any problems encountered with products from such merchants!

(4)     You even need to be careful in terms of purchasing shrink-wrapped, boxed packages of what purports to be genuine Adobe software. One of the latest scams is the sale of carefully counterfeited software packages at prices that are within the realm of what one would expect a legitimate software reseller to offer. Any questions about a vendor, contact Adobe Customer Support.

(5)     So-called Adobe OEM software available only by download or via a bunch of copied DVDs is totally illegitimate. Such software is likely either “cracked” counterfeit software (including the possibility of malware accompanying same) or attempts to illegally “unbundle” Adobe volume licenses. Adobe volume licenses have very strict licenses that explicilty prohibit owners of such licenses from reselling the licenses or use outside their organizations.

(6)     With regards to OEM software, Adobe does license software for bundling on computer systems by various sytem and peripheral manufacturers. However, the licenses for such software does not permit it to be unbundled from the specific hardware it was intended to be sold to be sold independently and is not legitimate.

- Dov

• 10. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                            Stix Hart Level 5

Dov Isaacs wrote:

(1)     In fact, there are absolutely legitimate sealed, boxed copies of older versions of genuine (i.e., not counterfeit DVDs and packaging) Adobe software available for purchase over the internet and otherwise. And as older software versions, one would naturally expect it to be sold at a very significant discount. Unless the product is stolen merchandise, it is likely legitimate. Adobe neither “sanctions” nor “doesn't sanction” sales of such software.

Thanks for popping in and clarifying Dov.  Could you pass onto the persons concerned that there are users that would love to be able to buy older versions, even with no discount at all!  We use CS5, if we were to add a seat everyone else would have to upgrade to CS5.5 as well!  Especially annoying as InDesign CS5.5 has no improvements whatsoever that would be useful to us.  So what should be a sale of one license for Adobe instead turns into no sale at all.

Note - we're in NZ, we can't buy off Amazon.

• 11. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

FWIW, participants in Adobe's volume license programs have been able to buy additional licenses for the versions of Adobe software that they are currently using.

- Dov

• 12. Re: Purchasing InDesign 4...
                                John Hawkinson Level 5
                                FWIW, participants in Adobe's volume license programs have been able to buy additional licenses for the versions of Adobe software that they are currently using.

I recently ran across some Adobe documentation on this, which doesn't say exactly the same thing, but it does provide some solid documentation.

I don't know to what extent it applies in Australia, and of course, remember there's no minimum purchase for volume licensing.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/volumelicensing/policies/:

Backward licensing policy

Adobe allows program members to order a current-version license but to use a prior version. These members can contact Adobe Customer Service to request a serial number for the earlier version if they do not already have one. Prior-version software (PDF,    71k) is available via ESD and can be purchased through standard resellers. The program member must follow all guidelines of the current-version EULA.

Note: This policy is applicable under the TLP and Forms Licensing Program (FLP) as well.

See the attached PDF. It states you can only order media one version back, but I suppose that does not mean you cannot get serial numbers more than one version back.