7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2011 3:10 PM by wet_bimbette

Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files

wet_bimbette Level 1

Hi,

Would anyone please be able to let me know if AE CS5.5 is supposed to be able to import *ts recorded files or do I need a plug in to do this?

I have some recordings that are in *ts file format and Premiere Pro CS 5.5 will import them OK but AE CS5.5 generates an error message and fails to import the files.

Rgds

• 1. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> AE CS5.5 generates an error message and fails to import the files.

What's the exact error message?

• 2. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This page has the full list of supported file types (I found it by doing a google search for "after effects" supported file types) and I don't see ts on there.

AE's not exactly cut out for audio work. In fact, compressed audio such as mp3 is often a bad idea. I always recommend people on Windows machines to convert any audio files into WAVs and Mac people to convert them to AIFF. I will recommend the same to you.

• 3. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

TS files are MPEG transport streams recorded as they come off the satellite. They can contain any form of encryption/protection, DRM and be malformatted in a million ways. Without knowing the exact specs and source it will be impossible to give you any pointers, but generally such stuff is not meant for editing at all and will 99% of the time require to be transcoded using tools like MPEGStreamclip/ffmpeg or SUPER© to conform it to something AE (and most other professional programs) can handle. There are also dedicated DVR recording "edit" tools that try to operate losslessly based on the GOPs in the stream. If you're just interested in cutting out commercial breaks or something liek that you might wanan try that...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
                wet_bimbette Level 1

Todd,

I have attached a screen capture of the error message below.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 opens the same *ts file OK without any glitches or generating any error messages so it can handle it OK.

Rgds

AE_Error_Message.jpg

• 5. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
                  wet_bimbette Level 1

Mylenium,

The *.ts file was indeed a recording of a satellite broadcast, however, it was a free to air broadcast with no encyption and stream was received and recorded by a Linux satellite receiver.

The editing I hope to be able to do is to cut the unwanted parts of the stream and compile only the sections I require and then insert stopwatch type timers into the compilation at the appropriate points.

As indicated above, it opens OK with Premiere Pro but will not open with After Effects which leads me to think that it is an After Effects issue rather than an encryption/protection issue introduced by the broadcaster.

Rgds

• 6. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you can import it into Premiere Pro but not After Effects, then I suggest that you do just that. You can use Premiere Pro to transcode the media into somethign that you can use in After Effects.

• 7. Re: Does AE CS5.5 Import *.ts Recorded Files
                      wet_bimbette Level 1

Todd,

Yes, I can transcode the file to another format that AE CS5.5 will accept. My reservations about doing this are that I am not sure if there would be any loss of video quality by using a transcoding application or whether transcoding to some formats would maintain quality better than transcoding to other formats?

Would Premiere Pro be my best choice of program for a transcoder or are there more renowned transcoder programs that are recognised and accepted by video professionals as being the program of choice?

Rgds