3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2011 9:01 PM by Rick Gerard

AE CS5 Crashes Evertyime I render

rakoom2002

Hey guys I am fairly new to After Effects.  I have some intro templates I bought at video hive and everytime I try to render any of them basically in any render output my computer crashes and restarts.

Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate

8 Gigs DDR3 12600/1600Mhz RAM

AMD Phenom 2 965 Quad Core

128GB SSD and 2TB WD Black

ATI HD5750 1 GB

I do get an error when I try to open the templates in AE   "After Effects: This project must be converted from version XXX (Windows) and will open as an untitled project.  The original file will be unchanged."

I have tried rendering out as avi lossless, mpeg2, quicktime, flv...etc... and it always will start to render for like a minute and then crashes the computer and it restarts.  Any Idea?

• 1. Re: AE CS5 Crashes Evertyime I render
          rakoom2002 Level 1

Hmmmm...  I just tried rendering with the quicktime output and it was fine but the file is way too big.  I just need these for the web like 480P or something and its about 1.4 gigs.  I think Ive been having trouble when I tried to render in a compresses format or something.

• 2. Re: AE CS5 Crashes Evertyime I render
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The default rendering format is lossless so the file size is appropriate. You need to read the help files on rendering and output. Choosing the right output format requires you to decide how and where you want to use the render. Lossless is perfect for further production but you may wish to use Adobe Media Encoder to render your lossless file to somethiong like the YouTube HD preset that you'll find there. You can also load your saved AE project into Media Encoder and render directly there. That's the best option for highly compressed formats you see on the web.

• 3. Re: AE CS5 Crashes Evertyime I render
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I just tried rendering with the quicktime output and it was fine but the file is way too big.

Read: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381?tstart=0 With regards to why it is crashing we would need more info about your exact output settings, multiprocessing settings and especially where you are saving. Since you are using an SSD, I get the distinct impression there is an issue with the media cache here and/or the temporary data generated for multipass encoding of compressed foirmats. Either the performance is rubbish to begin with or the drive is too small. therefore, as a minor make sure to set your Windows user temp folder and AE's cache folders to the platter drive, not the SSD.

Mylenium