11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2011 4:00 PM by Aberdeen212

Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5

Aberdeen212

Hello everyone,

I have some INDD files from an older computer (now defunct) made in InDesign CS3 that I need to open.

I'm trying to do it on my new(er) office machines with Vista64 SP2 and the newest version of InDesign (5.5)

The files get about 1/4th of the way through the "Converting Data" dialog box and the software hangs completely.  Has to be task-killed, not even the usual Vista "greying out" of the application, a complete hang.

Older files, made in CS2, open just fine.

I really need to get these documents open.  I no longer have access to CS3.  The machine that made the CS3 files is a doorstop now.  Killed by lightning (literally, a power surge).

Any ideas?  I've tried removing the SING folder.  Everything else about the CS5.5 is fine, it opens other InDesign files I have and works perfectly.  It's the trial version, and I will be purchasing, but right now I need to get these files opened ASAP.

I'm willing to pay.  If someone can get my CS3 files opened successfully and has a PayPal account I'll send $25.  I only have 2 files that need to be opened/converted.

Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Ive seen some files take a long time to open because they have large amounts of embedded image or vector data. You might want to let it run for an hour and see if it eventually opens the file.

Otherwise, it sounds like the files could be corrupt, but the only way to know for sure is to try in CS3. How many do you have?

If you still have the old disks, you can install CS3 on the new machine, but the bad news is that you want to load versions in chronological order, so you'd want to uninstall CS5.5 first, but since it's the trial version you can't reinistall and get it to run without buying a license (though cloning the hard drive and running CS3 on that long enough to open the files, if they will, and export to .inx might be an option). You may also be able to download the CS3 trial at Download Adobe CS4 and CS3 Free Trials Here (incl. After Effects) | ProDesignTools if you don't have the disks. You must follow the directions on the page VERY CAREFULLY or it will not work.

• 2. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5
            Aberdeen212 Level 1

Thanks, Peter

I thought of that also.  I left it running for about a 1/2 hour on 2 occasions and finally killed the process.  In the Task Manager, the InDesign program is taking about 50% of the CPU even though it's not responding (and Vista says it's not responding).  You can't even move the "Converting Data" dialog box around, but it doesn't crash Vista64.

I have 2 files.  They're a 48 page book 8.5x11.  I never had a problem opening or saving them in CS3 about 6 months ago.  Unfortunately I don't have the CS3 disks any longer, and the computer is dead (staff issue - they belonged to someone who I no longer work with.)

The client called me and needs copies of the files, so I downloaded CS5.5 Trial and attempted to open them.  It failed in the way I describe.  Strangely enough it opens the other INDD files I have.

I will try the link you suggest and post back.  I will try to put the CS3 trial on a good Vista SP2 laptop and see what the results are if any.

If it doesn't work, I'll still need someone who is a professional to give this a shot.  As I said, I'm willing to pay.  I can provide company information and I have a verified PayPal account.  I just need to get these two files opened and converted so I can read them in CS5.5, rearrange them slightly and burn a DVD for my customer.  I was very dismayed when CS5.5 kept hanging trying to open them.  This is/was a paying customer and I'd like to keep them, so I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee to someone who can get these two files opened for me.

I'll be buying the entire CS, I'm not a dirtbag - I'm just stuck between a rock and a hardplace right now, and before I can afford to buy the software I need not to lose the customer, because the main reason I'll be buying it is to do their new book.  I've been working on this problem literally the entire weekend and have had no luck at all.

• 3. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5

Zip them up and I'll see if I can get them to open here. I'm sending you an uplaod link by Private Message.

• 4. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5

I didn't even notice the offer to pay...

Most of us, including me, do this as a service to forum users at no charge for one or two files.

• 5. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5
                  Aberdeen212 Level 1

Well, if you can get them open for me so that I can read them in CS5.5, I'll gladly honor the $25.  I need 'em and I need 'em ASAP.

Thanks for your help.  I don't work for free and I don't think other people should work for free either.

• 6. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5

Just need to upload for you.

I've done .inx and verified they open iin CS5 (no 5.5 on this particular machine). My suspicion is there's a bad link (and my bet would be one of the .eps files), but you won't know until you try on your end.

• 7. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5

You should have the link now.

• 8. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5
                        Aberdeen212 Level 1

Yes got the link downloading now and trying it out.

• 9. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5
                          Aberdeen212 Level 1

It worked!  Perfect.  Opens fine in CS5.5 all I have to do is relink everything, the document is perfect.

Email me to tell me where to send the money.  No BS, you deserve it.

Thanks again.  You fixed my frustrating weekend in one stroke and deserve the $25.

• 10. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5

Make a donation to PBS or your local food bank.

• 11. Re: Problem opening CS3 INDD in CS5.5
                              Aberdeen212 Level 1

Will do, to a local charity.  They'll have it tomorrow, and I mean it.

http://www.thecenterofhope.org/

Thanks again for help.