2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 11:54 PM by Mylenium

Large project Crashing system near the same place, damaging preferences file, and damaging project..

RuesterProd Level 1

I am experiencing a system crash near the same place in a large project. My system will crash, then my Project file becomes too damaged to open, AND I lose my preferences file as well, having to reset my workspace! Crash reporter doesn't come up because the whole system went down, and the crash repoort page for Adobe doesn't seem to exist anymore (I couldn't get to it based on a link I found on this site - link may just be broken)

I have CS5 running on Win 7 x64 Home Premium.

This is twice now, in a couple days, luckily this time I saved a backup, but it still lost a little work and I lose preferences, which takes time to set up workspace again.

What could be causing this?

Also, how can I backup my preferences and workspaces as well?

• 1. Re: Large project Crashing system near the same place, damaging preferences file, and damaging project..
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> and the crash repoort page for Adobe doesn't seem to exist anymore

There is no "crash report page". The crash reporter is the dialog box that opens when a crash occurs that allows you to send the crash report to us.

There is a bug report page.

You didn't say which version of After Effects you're using. Have you installed the recent updates? They fix a lot of problems.

> Also, how can I backup my preferences and workspaces as well?

The "Preferences" page of After Effects Help tells where the preferences files are stored.

> What could be causing this?

It's hard to say with so little information.

In addition to what specific version of After Effects you're using, we need to know a lot more if we're going to help. What kind(s) of source footage? What were you doing when the problem occurred? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you rendering with OpenGL? Is the probem happening when rendering to final output? During RAM preview? Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing? What are your memory and multiporcessing settings?

• 2. Re: Large project Crashing system near the same place, damaging preferences file, and damaging project..
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I recommend you use Sysinternal's Process Monitor to create a log. Set it to filter on AfterFX.exe and let it do its thing with an automatic log backup. This could provide some clue as to which specific thing is causing the issue. Also make sure to set AE's render logging to extra info per frame and possibly use AE's own logging to gather forther information - create an empty file called After Effects Log.txt in your user configuration directory. In any case, I think you eitehr have a critical file I/O issue here and run out of (temporary) disk space or it's a driver crash either in the graphics card or, if audio is used in the project, the audio hardware.

Mylenium