7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 6:07 AM by adninjastrator

4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor

terryc4321

I have a project which has flv videos embedded in it, and when they are full screened using Flash's default player control skins it scales it so the width of the video matches the width of the monitor.  Since the video is more square and the monitor is wider, this cuts off the top and bottom of the video.  Ideally it would scale it so that it matches the vertical space, and leaves a black bar on the left and right of the video.  Any idea how to do this?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: 4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor
          adninjastrator Level 4

Solution depends on how you are going full screen. Are you "Scaling"? If scaling is set to "No Border" you could have problems like you are describing. Take a look at the links in this article and grab the lower left corner of the browser window and expand/contract the browser window to see how various scaling parameters work.

If scaling is not the issues, describe in detail how you are going full screen.

Here are examples of different scaling parameters available in the Publish settings. You can also add these parameters directly in the html (<param name="scale" value="noscale"). All the examples replace the actual Flash dimensions with 100% for both width and height (width="100%" height="100%"). These examples use the old <object> and <embed> to illustrate the different ways to scale Flash. Once you understand how it works I’d recommend that you use swfobject to place the Flash in your final project.

View the source code for each page to see the full code.

http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutorials/scale/exact_fit.html

"exactFit" scales the file to fit exactly within the confines of the screen, irregardless if the movie becomes consequently distorted. The original aspect ratio is not maintained. So round things are not round and squares are not square.

http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutorials/scale/noScale.html

"noScale" is the default setting, and causes the movie to be displayed at the originally designed dimensions.

http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutorials/scale/no_border.html

"noBorder" causes the movie to be scaled to what ever dimensions are needed to have no border surrounding the movie within the player, which consequently could result in some of the movie being cut off from view. In other words, the movie will maintain the original aspect ratio and will fill the screen completely. But if the movie has to be streched wider to fill both sides of the screen, it will also stretch taller, but then some of the top and the bottom of the movie may be cut off from view.

http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutorials/scale/show_all.html

"showAll" scales the movie to the size of the screen (which could cause pixelation if the file contains raster information), the difference between showAll and exactFit is that showAll mantains initial movie size proportions. Because it maintains the original aspect ratio, there can be space to the sides or the top and bottom. But everything always shows and they are not distorted. But notice the photo in the center, it becomes pixilated at larger screen resolutions.

The trickiest part of trying to go full screen is that it’s difficult to make the Flash wider without making it taller also, that is, to maintain the correct proportions or aspect ratio of everything on the stage. These methods are just simple scaling accomplished with html. There are also methods to dynamically scale the stage and it’s elements using Actionscript… but that’s a much more complex undertaking.

Best wishes,

Eye for Video

www.cidigitalmedia.com

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 3. Re: 4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor
            terryc4321 Level 1

Thanks for responding.  I am using the FLVplayback Component and a default skin from Flash.  I imported the video by going to File, Import, Import Video.  Using this method I can say that the parametes you are talking about (exactfit, noscale) which I can change in the componenets properties, have made no difference on how the video is scaled, which is odd.

Basically, I have a square video that has been scaled to match the width of my widescreen monitor.  Instead of having a squished video though, the video is cropped, as if it goes beyond the monitor.  This is in projector with an exe file, not on a webpage.

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: 4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor
              adninjastrator Level 4

Well "(exactfit, noscale)" gives conflicting results... you are telling it to scale according to "exact fit", yet "no scale", ... do not scale.

The correct params for exact fit would not include "no scale".

Review the links above and view the source code for each link for best results.

Adninjastrator

• 5. Re: 4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor
                terryc4321 Level 1

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that I choose both at the same time.  Using the FLVPlayback component properties you can only pick one, and no matter which I pick it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

• 6. Re: 4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor
                  terryc4321 Level 1

I reviewed the links and show all is what I am after.  Currently though it scales to the width of whatever monitor it is on, which causes it to cut off video on wide screen monitors.

• 7. Re: 4:3 Video cutoff when full screened on a 16x9 monitor
                    adninjastrator Level 4

Are you also using:

width="100%" height="100%"

For better help, please post your code.

How are you going full screen? is it full screen all the time, meaning

width="100%" height="100%"

or is there abutton to click for 100%?

Displays correctly on 4:3 monitor? if so what happens when you resize the window to be narrower than full screen on 4:3 monitor?

Adninjastrator