18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2011 10:00 AM by Dov Isaacs

Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000

madameblossom Level 1

In InDesign CS4 when I go to print to my new Epson Stylus Photo R3000 I can't see any of the required options to select for paper types, colour or black, dpi, draft etc in the print set-up dialogue panel.

However, when I use Quark I can see all the options I need. Surely InDesign must have them too?

Please can anybody hepl?

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OS?

Do you see a buttn inthe Print dialog that says Setup? That takes you to the print driver where those settings will be found.

• 2. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

And surely realize that without telling us what version InDesign and what operating system you're on it's very difficult to help.

Bob

• 3. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
              madameblossom Level 1

I am using CS4 and on Mac OS 10.6.8 on Mac Pro quad core Intel. Printer: Epson Stylus Photo R3000.

My issues are with the InDesign CS4 print options.

Yes, I have tried the 'page setup' dialogue, but it doesn't offer any choice for type of media, dpi, greyscale/colour etc. In the print dialogue box in InDesign under 'colour management' there is a button called 'colour handling', but that only allows for the option 'let InDesign Determine colour' whereas in Photoshop I can choose to let the printer handle it.

eg in Photoshop there is an option to choose 'printer manages colour' in the print dialogue panel. Then you click 'print'  and it takes you to another print dialogue panel which has drop down options starting with 'layout'. From that drop down you select 'print settings' and there you find all the choices for paper media, print quality (dpi), greyscale/colour etc.

I can choose all the print options in Photoshop, Quark, Mail etc, just not InDesign.

If anybody can tell me how to find that in InDesign I would be very grateful. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000

I'm on windows, so my dialog looks a little different than the one on Mac. I have button that says "setup." I believe on Mac there is one more button, so try the one labelled "printer."

• 5. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                  madameblossom Level 1

Yup, but if you hit 'printer' within InDesign all you get is a dialogue box saying to use InDesign's Print dialogue box to 'avoid printing conflicts'. Then you are taken back to square one where you cannot select for the printer to determine colour and therefore cannot choose paper types etc. As I say, you get all those options in Photoshop, Acrobat Pro etc, so why not InDesign? I have just read a blog railing against InDesign for not allowing an override. I have just bought this expensive new Epson Printer so it has all the latest drivers yet Indesign just won't let me use its options. That may mean I just can't use InDesign. That would be mad!

Have other Epson or general printer users out there got this problem?

Any help? Thanks.

• 6. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000

Ignore the warning and proceed.

• 7. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                      madameblossom Level 1

Thanks Peter, but you can't! That's the point, InDesign won't allow you to override it determining colour, and by not allowing that you don't have the print options available to you! What printer do you have? Can you, within your InDesign print dialogue box under 'colour management', choose anything other than 'let InDesign Determine colour'? Thanks.

• 8. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                        John Hawkinson Level 5
                        That's the point, InDesign won't allow you to override it determining colour

Are you sure, have you actually tested it? The interaction of the printer-specific options and the InDesign options is not always what you think it will be.

What printer do you have? Can you, within your InDesign print dialogue box under 'colour management', choose anything other than 'let InDesign Determine colour'?

On a Xerox Phaser 7500DX on a Mac, I can indeed choose "Let PostScript(R) Printer Determine Colors" in the Color Handling option box. This is because InDesign reads the PPD file for the printer and determines that that capability should be presented to the user, and also knows how to tell the printer to activate it.

The situation with Windows and PPD files is...more complex. It is probably possible for you to edit the PPD file, but you might be better off looking to make sure you have the right one installed (sometimes there are multiple for a given printer)...

• 9. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                          madameblossom Level 1

Yes, I've tried what I can.

This is what I do (remember I am on Mac not Windows):

Within InDesign CS4 I go to 'print'.

Dialogue box comes up and under 'General' at the top by 'Printer' the only option there is 'Epson Stylus Photo R3000' which is the printer I have.

Going down the list, 'general', 'setup', 'marks and bleed, 'output', 'graphics', then select 'color management'. In the options on the right side where is shows 'colour handling', it is only showing an option to 'Let InDesign Determine Colour'. That is what I need to change to 'let printer select colour' -as in Photoshop - but Indesign doesn't allow any option at all to change it. I'm not getting the option you are getting.

Under 'setup' there is an option under 'printer' to put out a postscript file, but I don't want a postscript file!

I have the correct printer drivers installed otherwise they wouldn't work with Photoshop etc.

• 10. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm sorry, I must have mixed up your comment and Peter's comment about your OS.

I have the correct printer drivers installed otherwise they wouldn't work with Photoshop etc.

While this might seem true, that is not how it works.

InDesign and Photoshop do not use the same mechanisms for their printer driver code, and InDesign pays attention to the printer's PPD file in away that Photoshop does not. And vendors are well-known for not necessairly supplying complete or proper PPD files. So it is all too plausible that there are issues with the printer's PPD file that cause InDesign to have suboptimal behavior but not Photoshop.

The good news is that PPD files are human-readable (sort of) and editable. See files in /etc/cups/ppd on your system.

• 11. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                              madameblossom Level 1

Thanks John,

That's what makes me think this is an InDesign specific problem. I emailed Adobe and they won't help unless I pay! (Hey, I pay a lot for their software, what more do they want?). I also tried Epson, but they say it's an application issue, la di da.

So I am hoping an InDesign whiz can help me.

I don't know what do about PPDs. I looked in my System folder under Library - PPDs - content - resources, but that only lists laser printers, so I must be in the wrong place. Given that I have only had this printer a short time and it has the latest drivers I'm not sure what else I can do. I still don't think it's an issue with the driver, rather that it's within InDesign. Are you able to help further? Can you choose anything other than 'let InDesign Determine colour' when you go to print from it under 'colour management'?  Really this should be an issue InDesign addresses.

• 12. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                John Hawkinson Level 5
                                That's what makes me think this is an InDesign specific problem. I emailed Adobe and they won't help unless I pay! (Hey, I pay a lot for their software, what more do they want?).

This argument cuts both ways. If you paid $600 for it, what's another $40? 7% for flinching! Also, if you can demonstrate it is a bug, you'll get your money back, or at least another free support incident. It's like going to the movies and complaining because it was out of focus and getting a free pass to come back. And then it's out of focus again. See how many movies you can see on the same ticket!

Anyhow:

I don't know what do about PPDs. I looked in my System folder under Library - PPDs - content - resources, but that only lists laser printers, so I must be in the wrong place.

Like I said, you need to look in /etc/cups/ppd. In the Finder, hit Cmd-Shift-G and type in that path.

I still don't think it's an issue with the driver, rather that it's within InDesign.

madameblossom, that's what we call an interaction. The way InDesign interacts with the driver. It is not obviously a bug in either of them, though it might be a bug in one or both.

Can you choose anything other than 'let InDesign Determine colour' when you go to print from it under 'colour management'? 

Please reread my post #8.

• 13. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Oh, rereading your earlier posts, you say:

Dialogue box comes up and under 'General' at the top by 'Printer' the only option there is 'Epson Stylus Photo R3000' which is the printer I have.

and then seperately:

Yup, but if you hit 'printer' within InDesign all you get is a dialogue box saying to use InDesign's Print dialogue box to 'avoid printing conflicts'. Then you are taken back to square one where you cannot select for the printer to determine colour and therefore cannot choose paper types etc.

Are you saying when you hit Printer... you get this?:

print1.png

If so, then you need to hit the disclosure triangle that I've circled in green, to get this:

print2.png

And you should get a whole bunch of choices under the oval-circled dropdown. Some may be printer-specific and some may not.

Is that not what you get? If not, perhaps you should post a screenshot.

I'm not really convinced that the Color Handling choice in the InDesign Print box has much to do with what you want to accomplish. It certainly should not influence paper selection. for instance.

• 14. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                    madameblossom Level 1

John,

If I knew you I'd hug you! Yes, that does it I'm pretty sure. I'll experiment tomorrow as I'm going out now. I'm sorry I was confused as all the dialogue links and sequences are so different from the others and I'm new to InDesign. It didn't seem intuitive.

Thank you for your patience, and I'll only post again about this if I have further issues. Hope you don't mind?

Thanks again, Judy

• 15. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                      John Hawkinson Level 5

You're welcome. Sorry we went down the PPD tangent...

• 16. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

FWIW, PPD stands for PostScript Printer Description file. You only have a PPD for a PostScript printer. The Epson Stylus Photo R3000 printer is not a PostScript printer although there may be some third party PostScript (or PretendScript) RIPs that can front-end such a device.

- Dov

• 17. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Thanks for clarifying, Dov. I guess sometimes it's hard for me to remember

that there are in fact non-PostScript printers out there (Adobe has won!).

I thought CUPS used a PPD file for all printers, but I guess my model

of the world is either wrong or falsely influenced by my All PostScript

All The Time fantasy.

• 18. Re: Printing from InDesign to Epson Stylus Photo R3000
                                            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

I honestly don't know whether CUPS uses a PPD for non-PostScript devices; the complexities of the MacOS printing subsystem is somewhat mind-boggling. Just wanted to clarify what PPD stood for.

- Dov