6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 9:47 AM by Steve Grisetti

I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?

Timmmothy Level 1

So basically, my laptop (Acert TravelMate 6293) is having lots of Adobe problems...

A few years ago I forked out a bit of money when I bought, box and all, Premiere Elements 7.

It worked great up until a month ago when it kept freezing. Yesterday I found that I couldn't even click anything on a New Project in Premiere Elements 7 without it freezing, so I chose to upgrade.

So I spent $90 on Premiere Elements 9 and chose the digital download. It says to use the registration key in the trial version.

I don't know how that works seeing as the full program is $135 and I only spent $90 (even though I am genuinely upgrading) but I gave no mention that I am upgrading. Anyway.

THE PROBLEM AT HAND

My computer will not allow me to install Premiere Elements 9. During the installation process, I get this message

img1.JPG

Shortly followed by this one

img2.JPG

After clicking OK to both messages, the setup just sits there doing this for ages

img3.JPG

What am I to do? I am so, very, frustrated >:(

Thank you so much for reading,

Tim

• 1. Re: I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is a laptop running XP?As an older machine, it may not have the hardware to support the program.

What processor are you running and how much RAM do you have?

Do you have at least 30 gigs of free, clean, freshly defragmented space on your C drive?

When did you last clean your drive and tune your registry? A great free program for doing this is Advanced System Care, available at http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Also, the downloaded program is a Zip file. Did you extract the Zip file before you tried to install the program? You can't install the program from within the Zip file.

• 2. Re: I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?
            Timmmothy Level 1

I'm using XP.

There's 10GB free space on my laptop which is more than enough needed... I checked the system requirements for Premiere Elements 9.

Please, someone help me. I feel like I have wasted $100 and I don't know how to get it back. This is terrible.

• 3. Re: I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?

10 gigabytes is probably not enough room in which to properly install and run this program -- particularly if there are tmp files or fragmentation on your disc.

The space requirements listed on the box are the minimum space required for the program files. They're not very realistic space requirements because they don't take into consideration the "footprint" space the program needs to install, open and run. Even Windows recommends having at least 20 gigs of free space on your C drive just to operate.

As I said above, you're not likely to be able to install this program and run it with less than 25-30 gigs of space on your C drive -- and that space free of tmp files and defragmented.

• 4. Re: I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve.

PrE needs HDD real estate for large working files. It will require less space AFTER the installation, but during installation, there are some large files, that must be unpacked and accessed.

Even if you could get PrE to install, with 10GB free space (probably not effectively defragmented, as a defragmentation program also needs plenty of space to move large files about), simple editing will fill that up almost instantly, and even more quickly, if the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) is dynamically managed, which is the default. As one uses up the installed RAM, the Page File will grow in size, and fairly dramatically so.

One last consideration is that as a HDD nears ~ 70% of capacity, it slows down. This slowdown is exponential, and the closer to capacity, the slower it gets. Near capacity, the likelihood of a failure increases. For me, about 60% of capacity, is as far as i go.

Can you do a big cleanup of your C:\? An external HDD is good for this, as even a USB 2.0 connection is fast enough for archiving, of say old AV files, DOC files, spreadsheets and such.

If one is using an external for editing, I personally recommend either FW-800, or eSATA for that purpose, but others have had no problems using a USB 2.0 for such tasks.

Though I have 3x 200GB HDD's on my laptop, I use externals, as I often need to migrate Projects between the laptop and the workstation. My FW-800's work well, but my new systems will have eSATA, and all new externals will be eSATA, because of the additional speed.

Good luck, and please let us know if a major housecleaning helps. Also, this ARTICLE is a checklist for installing most Adobe programs.

Hunt

• 5. Re: I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?
                  Timmmothy Level 1

So basically at the moment, I am copying about 40GB of movies onto an external hard drive, I'll delete the movies on my hard drive and then try installing it again, and get back to you, probably will happen in the next 24 hours

Thank you

• 6. Re: I have bought Premiere Elements 9. It won't, won't, won't let me install it?

Also, once you've cleared space on your drive, be sure to run the Advanced System Care program I recommended above!