3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2011 10:35 AM by trshaner RSS

Can't open some .CR2 files in Lightroom

nuno173 Community Member

Does anyone have this sort of message from LR3 when trying to import photos from a Canon 5D MII using a 16 GB Transcend UDMA 400x CF: "The files are from a camera which is not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom". Pretty strange, since I only got this message for 5 in a series of 500 images...

Furthermore, 3 of the other photos are damaged... Pretty much a card problem, right? Thanks for the advise.

Nuno Fontes Nunes

• 1. Re: Can't open some .CR2 files in Lightroom
          Hal P Anderson Community Member

Nuno,

It's a hardware problem. Possibly the card, the camera, the card reader, the cable, your computer memory, or your hard drive. Or possibly the cable wasn't seated properly. Try substituting cards, cables, drives, etc., one at a time until the problem goes away. There are bootable programs that will test your memory.

Always format your card in your camera, not your computer. Cameras know enough to stop using bad blocks on the card.

Hal

• 2. Re: Can't open some .CR2 files in Lightroom
            nuno173 Community Member

Thank you Hal. That was my first thought too. Never had anything similar with LR before. I really suspect the CF card, because I've been using other cards for years (including Transcend 8G) without a single problem of the like... Hope that the camera can "overrule" this issue trough formatting, but it's the 2nd time it happens in the same week. Thanks again.

Nuno

• 3. Re: Can't open some .CR2 files in Lightroom
              trshaner CommunityMVP

Hope that the camera can "overrule" this issue trough formatting, but it's the 2nd time it happens in the same week.

There is no "low-level format" option in most cameras that use CompactFlash, Canon 5D MKII included. So your camera card format will NOT help you remove bad sectors on your CompactFlash card. SD cards are a different story – My Canon 600D has low-level format option, but it uses SD memory.

You can however use a computer based utility and your card reader to do low-level formatting to remove bad sectors. Most freeware versions are Windows only, here's one:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5265-low-level-format-tool.html

If on a Mac you'll have to search and and/or buy a Mac OSX application, or use a friend's Windows system.